Subject: Summary: The photoproduction of cis,trans-C8H10 ...

From: Masakatsu Ito <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 10:49:47 +0900

Hello Netters,

	I have recently posted a question about the photo-
isomerization yield of all trans-octatetraene and the ratio
of cis,trans-isomer to all trans-one. Barry R Smith 
<[email-masked]> have told me the very useful literature.
I'm very gratefull to him.

He recommended:

1."Octatetraene Photoisomerization",Bryan E. Kohler,
  Chem. Rev. 1993, 93, 41-54

And it contains other useful references.

2."cis-trans photoisomerization of 1,3,5,7-octatetraene in 
  n-hexane at 4.2K", M.F.Grandville,G.R.Holtom, and B.E.Kohler,
  Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.USA,77,31-33(1980)
3."Radiationless decay of 1,3,5,7-octatetraene",J.R.Ackerman and
  B.E.Kohler,J.Chem.Phys.,77,3967(1982)
4."Double-bond isomerization barrier in the 2Ag excited singlet
  state of cis,trans-1,3,5,7-octatetraene",J.R.Ackerman and 
  B.E.Kohler,J.Am.Chem.Soc.,106,3681(1984)
5."Barriers in the excited 2Ag state for the cis,trans isomerization
  of cis,cis-octatetrane: General features of the excited state
  potentical",B.E.Kohler,P.Mitra, and P.West,J.Chem.Phys.,85,4436
  (1986)
6."Photochemical hole burning for 1,3,5,7-octatetrane in n-hexane",
  G.Adamson,G.Gradl, and B.E.Kohler, J.Chem.Phys.,90,3038(1989)

So far I cannot find the information about the photoismorization
yield. But I've got other interesting information from these
references. Thanks.

Masakatsu Ito
Department of Structual Molecular Science
The Graduate University for Advanced Studies
Tel 81(Japan)-52-789-3656
Fax 81(Japan)-52-789-3551
E-mail [email-masked]

>From: [email-masked] (Barry R Smith )
>Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: octatetraene photoisomerization
>
>Try looking at a recent review article titled
>"Octatetraene Photoisomerization" by Bryan E. Kohler
>(Chem. Rev. 1993, 93, 41-54).  I'm not sure if it
>says much about the yields, but is a good place to
>start + contains lots of other references.
>
>Barry R. Smith, Dept. of Chemistry, King's College London, UK.