Subject: Szabo and Ostlund book

From: [email-masked] (Neil S. Ostlund)
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 1995 12:51:08 -0400

In response to the following query from Stephan Sauer:

> I am desperately looking for some copies of the book

> "Modern Quantum Chemistry, Introduction to Advanced Electronic Structure 
> Theory" by Attila Szabo and Neil S. Ostlund.

> It is, as far as I was told, out of print right now. Nevertheless I would
> need to get some copies for my students. So, if someone out there has seen
> it in a book shop or has one which he/she would like to sell, please let
> me know.

Our book is indeed out of print and I have no idea where one could get copies.
The good news is that it will be reprinted as a Dover paperback which will
make it less expensive for students and keep it around for a while.  the
Dover edition is due next spring or summer.

As an aside, Atilla Szabo and I have negotiated with Dover that we are
allowed to create a new edition (the third edition) of the book, provided
50% or more of the book is new material.  This might not be hard since the
first draft of the book was in 1976!  Neither Attila nor I have the time nor
incentive to revise the book so the only course that makes sense is to find
a third author to take responsibility for the third edition.  This person
should be a pretty senior person who has our confidence and a very thorough
background in theoretical quantum chemistry.  If there are such people
lurking out there who are crazy enough to want to explore this, please
contact either Attila (NIH, Bethesda) or I about the possibility of joining
us as an author of a new edition.

Neil 
------------------------
Neil S. Ostlund
President and CEO
Hypercube, Inc.
419 Phillip St.
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
1-519-725-4040 (Tel) 1-519-725-5193 (Fax)
[email-masked]
http://www.hyper.com