Subject: Re: CCL:Concerns with the Biosym/MSI merger

From: Keith Refson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 22:01:44 BST

The question that immediately sprang to my mind on reading about the
Biosym/MSI merger is "why?".  What is the motivation for the two most
direct competitors in this field to combine?  The content-free
managementese of the announcement certainly didn't give a clue.

I imagine there must be a pretty strong motive for a step like this,
since there are pretty strong disincentives for all kinds of reasons.
Is the market not big enough for both of them, or is either in
trouble? Or has some financial backer pulled a plug? Can anyone
familiar with their balance sheets suggest a reason and comment on the
financial stability of the new company?

sincerely

Keith Refson

---

From: [email-masked] (Pieter Stouten)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 18:06:48 -0400

How many different user interfaces will we get: Insight, Cerius2,
Quanta, ....?  Will all the functionality that is available under
Insight be redistributed over the different interfaces?  The real
problem with MSI's  software, IMHO,  has always been that it is a
collection  of unrelated,  not-integrated  tools.  I sure hope it
won't get worse.

--

** Please note my new e-mail address: [email-masked]   **
** The old address (chemsci1) has stopped working on 7 August 1995 **

Pieter Stouten                              ||  Nothing shocks me;
Computer Aided Drug Design Group            ||
The DuPont Merck Pharmaceutical Company     ||  I am a scientist!
P.O. Box 80353, Wilmington, DE 19880-0353   ||
Phone: +1 (302) 695 3515                    ||          --
Fax: +1 (302) 695 2813                      ||
Internet: [email-masked]        ||    Indiana Jones