Subject: Re-2:G92 symmetry question

From: "Sergei Vyboishchikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Aug 95 16:17:20 MDT

Answering Bao-Liang's question, I wrote

.....<stuff omitted>.....
- Gaussian determines the principal axes of inertia and the type of top:
 -- asymmetrical, which can occur only in C1 and Ci point groups
 -- symmetrical, which can occur only in subgroups of D2d (e.g., in C2v)
 -- spherical, which can occur only in high symmetric groups (e.g., in Oh or
                                                                   Td)
.....<stuff omitted>.....

I am sorry. It is wrong, of course. The correct formulation is following:

- Gaussian determines the principal axes of inertia and the type of top:
 -- asymmetrical, which can occur only in subgroups of D2h (e.g., in C2v)
 -- symmetrical, which can occur only in groups which contain only one axis
    of higher order (e.g., C3v or D6h)
 -- spherical, which can occur only in highly symmetric groups (e.g., in Oh
                                                                or Td)

The rest of the message should be correct.

I express my apology for this mistake and regret that some of the netters
wasted their time reading my message.

                              Greetings,
                                      Sergei Vyboishchikov
                                      Universitaet Marburg