Subject: References to Aaquist and Mg2++

From: "NOYM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 1995 01:08:05 +0200

Dear David and all netters,

Just a brief clarification;

To scan scandinavian references on CAS may be rather "buggy". 
In scandinavia we have non-ascii charachters like a, and o with one or two dots 
above. They do not fit into the CAS browsing system, but may be spelled on
CAS as:
One dot over "a": a or aa;    As in "J. Aqvist" or "J. Aaqvist"
Two dots over "a": a or ae;   As in "C. Branden" or "C. Braenden"
Two dots over "o": o or oe;   As in "H. Jornvall" or "H. Joernvall"

Martin Norin
Pharmacia
Stockholm

---

From: Jochen Kuepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 20:30:25 -0400 (EDT)

And not only Scandinavian words, but almost every language has additional 
characters to the 26 known in the English language.

Is there a common standard for interpreting them back to 26 ?

Jochen

---

From: [email-masked] (Hinsen Konrad)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 21:11:41 -0400

No. Most countries have developed their own conventions when the
upcoming telex system made this necessary, but they are all different.
Sometimes there is even more than one convention for one language.

BTW, even English needs more than 26 characters if spelt properly;
there ought to be a difference between the verb "resume" and the noun
"resum'e", for example. But in English the number of affected words is
small enough to be ignored. Of the languages traditionally written in
the Latin alphabet, only Latin itself needs no additional characters.
And some that adopted the Latin script relatively recently (like
Bahasa Indonesia, if I am not mistaken) are also content with
the "standard" characters.

Now, if anyone can find a relation back to chemistry...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------