Subject: COMP Program for New Orleans

From: George R Famini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 21:56:40 EDT

Well Folks,

Here is the preliminay schedule for the Computers in Chemistry
Division's program for the New Orleans ACS meeting.  Please
remember that the deadline for getting abstracts in is the end 
of October (yes, it is earlier than several other divisions,
but that's life).  Although there is some leeway to the
the deadline, I reserve the right to reject any paper submitted
after the deadline.  In any case, no paper will be accepted
after my final program goes to ACS (notice I do not tell you when that
date is...). 

The symposia organizers have made every attempt to accept
as many contributed papers as possible.  However, many of
the symposia are expected to be popular.  Therefore, I suggest you contact
the organizer now if you are interested in submitting a paper to see if
there is space available.  There will always be room in the poster session
(we had over 300 attendees to the poster session in Chicago, most
stayed for the entire evening), as well as the general oral (although I
recommend a poster, it seems to attract a larger audience).

 The preliminary agenda for New Orleans is:

Symposium	Sunday	Monday	Tuesday	Wdnesday  Thursday

Applic in
Env Chem	 		  P	  D

S.E. MO
Theory					  D	     D

Drug Discovery	  D	  D	  P

Object Oriented					     D

Monte Carlo	  D	  A

Experiment 
Design			  P 	  D

General Oral					     D
	
General Poster			  E

Sci Mix			  E

Phys Prop Est	 P	  D

Frugal Chemist			 D

Databasing				  D

Computers in
Chemistry Award			 A

D= All Day   P= Afternoon  A= Morning   E= Evening

Session Organizers Needed

Despite the overall success of offering symposia, COMP still is in 
need of additional orgranizers for symposia at Las Vegas, Dallas and 
Boston (Fall 1997 and beyond).  Organizing a symposium can be 
challenging, but at the same time, rewarding and enlightening.  If 
you are interested in organizing a symposium, or have ideas for new 
symposia within COMP, do not hesitate to contact the Program 
Chair (that's me, folks).

The electronic poster session was a big hit, with over 1000
"visitors" to the infobahn homepage.  We are intending to
attempt another electronic poster session again in New Orleans,
but with some modifications.  Hopefully, ACS will not
assign us a room for the electronic posters this time
(causing a bit of confusion).  Plus, it is our intent to
a) list the posters in the program for Sunday, and b) have
an Internet link outside of the COMP meeting rooms (maybe
even at the poster session...).  Anyway, Ton, Henry and Steve
deserve lots of thanks for making it work in Chicago.

				George Famini
				COMP Program Chair

The list of symposia (full title) and organizers for New
Orleans is:

Program Chair:  George R. Famini, U.S. Army Edgewood Research, 
Development and Engineering Center, SCBRD-ASI , Aberdeen Proving 
Ground, MD 21010; Voice:  (410)671-2552; Fax:  (410)671-5373; email:  
[email-masked].

Four (4) copies of 150-word abstract (Original on ACS Abstract Form) are 
due by October 20, 1995  to respective session or symposium chairpersons.

        Molecular Modeling Applications to Environmental Problems - 
 Dr. James Rabinowitz, USEPA, HERL, MD-68, Research Triangle 
Park, NC 27711; voice:  (919)541-5714; fax:  (919)541-0694; 
email:  [email-masked].

        Semi-Empirical Molecular Orbital Methods:  Is There a 
Future? - Dr. Andrew J. Holder, Department of Chemistry, 
University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO 64110; voice:  (816)235-
2293; email:  [email-masked].

       Computational Chemistry Assisted Drug Discovery - Dr. James 
Damewood, Zeneca Pharmaceuticals, Department of 
Medicinal/Structural Chemistry, 1800 Concord Pike, Wilmington, 
DE 19897; voice:  (302)886-5792; email:  [email-masked].

       Application of Object Oriented Programming Methodology to 
Computing in Chemistry - Dr. Dennis J. Gerson, IBM Consulting 
Group, 1507 LBJ Freeway MS/160601, Dallas, TX 75234; Voice: 
(214)280-1425; fax:  (214)280-1486:  email:  
[email-masked].  Dr. Kevin Cross, Chemical Abstracts 
Service, 2540 Olentangy River Road, P.O. Box 3012, Columbus, 
OH 43210; voice:  (614)447-3813 ext. 3192; fax:  (614)447-3813; 
email [email-masked].

         Monte Carlo Methods in Chemistry -  Dr. Brian L. Hammond, 
Computational Research Div,Fujitsu America, Inc., 3055 Orchard 
Drive, San Jose, CA  95134; voice:  (408) 456-7322;  email: 
[email-masked].

        Physical/Chemical Property Prediction - Dr. Lionel Carreira, 
Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 
30602; voice :   (706) 542-2050 or 2051; fax:   (706) 542-9454; 
email:  [email-masked].
 	
       Frugal Chemists Software - Dr. Charles James, Department of 
Chemistry, University of North Carolina at Asheville, Ashevilee, 
NC 28804; voice (704)251-6443; fax:  (704)251-6041; email:  
[email-masked].
 	
       Experimental Design for Chemical Models - Dr. Karen 
Rappaport, Hoechst-Celanese, 86 Morris Ave, Summitt, NJ 07901; 
voice:  (908)522-7868; fax:  (908)522-3913;  email:  
[email-masked].
 	
        New Methods in Databasing - Dr. Scott Kahn,Molecular 
Simulations, Inc, 555 Oakmead Parkway, Sunnvale, CA 94086;  
voice:  (408)522-0100; fax:  (408)522-0199; email:  
[email-masked].
 
       Electronic Poster Session - Dr. Steven Bachrach, Department 
of Chemistry, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Il 60115
Phone: (815)753-6863, [email-masked], Fax:   (815)753-4802   

       General Computational Chemistry - Poster and/or Oral 
Sessions - Dr. George R. Famini, US Army Edgewood Research, 
Development and Engineering Center, SCBRD-ASI, APG, MD 
21010; voice:   (410)671-2552; Fax:  (410)671-5373; email:  
[email-masked].