Subject: Software for Review

From: "Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:43:16 -0400 (EDT)

30 August, 1995

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have six (6) new software
products. I am looking for someone who is willing to review these
software product.  In return for the review which is published in
JCICS you get to keep the software or database.  The review
should be completed in 1-3 months.  The length of the review is
4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample reviews can be found in
most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. 

     I have tried this approach for about the past four years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 1 September 1995 (Friday), as I am
sure the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. The software program HINT from Haney Associates. HINT is a
program that calculates hydrophobic and hydrophilic partitioning
parameters based on empirical data. HINT is available for Sybyl,
InsightII and Chem-X.  This program runs ONLY on the SGI.  In
order to provide the reviewer with the correct software, please
provide answers to the following questions when you respond to
this message.

hostname:
CPU type (use hinv):   

SGI: /etc/sysinfo -s   

Modeling Host Software:        Tape Media:
SYBYL Release/Version:          ______   QIC

InsightII Release/Version:      ______   4mm 
DAT

ChemX Release/Version:          ______   8mm 
Exabyte

2. ChemSite for Windows.  This a 3-D molecular modeling program
for drawing, displaying, and simulating dynamic behavior of
organic molecules.

3.gNMR, a Macintosh program from SoftShell International and
Cherwell Scientific. This program performs 1-D nmr spectral
simulation.  It requires a 68020 or higher cpu, a 68881 numeric
coprocessor, and system 6.0.5 or higher.

4. SciProtein from SciVision is a PC program that is a toolkit
for proteins and peptides.  The five main features are homology,
prediction, graphics editor, search and find, and databases and
property maps.  You should have HyperChem. It interfaces with
HyperChem 3.0 or 4.1.  The program and database needs 50-80 MB of
storage!  Excel 5.0 should be available for rapid searches of the
PDB.  This program is for protein chemists and molecular
biologists.  

5. SciPolymer from SciVision is a PC program that contains an
informational database and predictive tools to calculate polymer
properties.  You should have HyperChem 30. or 4.1.

6. EndNote2 Plus and EndLink 2.0 for Windows from Niles &
Associates. These program help one manage bibliographic
references.

Steve Heller, USDA, ARS, Plant Genome Program
Bldg. 005, Room 337
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Phone: 301-504-6055  FAX:  301-504-6231