Subject: Dielectric constant for n-octanol

From: "Hr Dr. S. Shapiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:20:39 +0100 (MET)

Dear Colleagues;

     For some calculations which I should like to perform, I need to have the
value of the dielectric constant for n-octanol.  To date I have found two
rather different numbers in the literature:

     (i) according to the Landolt-Boernstein Physikalische-chemische
         Tabelen, V/2, p. 1036 (1923), the dielectric constant of n-
         octanol at 18oC is 3.4 [ref.: W. Rudolph, Diss., Leipzig,
         1911].

    (ii) according to Lange's Handbook of Chemistry, 12th Edn., p.
         10-113 (1979), the dielectric constant of n-octanol at 20oC
         is 10.34 [ref.: NBS Circular from the 1950's].

Does anyone know of any more _recent_ experimental determinations of the
value of the dielectric constant for n-octanol?  If so, kindly advise me
of the relevent references.

     By the way, if anyone out there has access to or is otherwise familiar
with the doctoral dissertation of W. Rudolph, completed at Leipzig in 1911,
I'd be very interested in learning more about this work.

     Thanks in advance to all responders.

Sincerely,

(Dr.) S. Shapiro
Inst. f. orale Mkrobiol. u. allg. Immunol.
Zent. f. Zahn-, Mund- u. Kieferheilkd. der Univ. ZH
Plattenstr. 11
Postfach
CH-8028 Zuerich 7
Switzerland

Internet: [email-masked]
FAX-nr: ( ... + 1) 261'56'83