Subject: Workshop Announcement:

From: Mrigank <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 95 14:01:50 +0530

NATIONAL WORKSHOP ON COMPUTER AIDED PROTEIN DESIGN
   ==================================================
   
                (November 6-10, 1995)

                         Organized by
   
                      Bioinformatics Centre,
                  Institute of Microbial Technology
                      Chandigarh.  160 014

   THE THEME 
   --------- 
   
            Protein engineering, though originally conceived as a realm  of 
   molecular biology is now as multidisclipinary approach to the study of 
   biological systems. Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics are some 
   of them. Though there is a many fold increase in the pace at which 3-D 
   structures of proteins are now available, the protein sequences far 
   outnumber it. Although the ultimate goal of all "protein engineers" is 
   the prediction of 3-D structure from a given sequence, present day aims 
   are somewhat more modest, like to find out what  if a residue is replaced 
   or deleted in a protein. This necessitates the usage of tools of Compu
   tational  Chemistry, a field that has seen very rapid growth of late.
  
            The  idea of this workshop is to familiarize the participants 
  with the state of art in this area and to make them appreciate as to what 
  information can one glean out from the information available with molecular 
  biologists  or biophysicists and with what degree of confidence and caution  
   should it be used. 

            What information does one get from just the protein sequence? How 
  well can one predict the effect of mutations on proteins with  known 
  structure ? How and what kind of ideas can one get from structure to 
  introduce desired properties into a protein?  These will be the some of 
  the questions the  workshop will attempt to enlighten.

   Topics to be covered:
   --------------------
         
    o   Sequence Analysis
    o   Protein Secondary/Supersecondary Structure
    o   Homology Based Protein Modeling
    o   Molecular Dynamics/Simulated Annealing
    o   Genetic Algorithms
    o   Graphic Representation of Protein Structure
    o   Conformational Analysis
   
   Who Should Apply?
   ----------------

   Biotechnologists, Molecular  Biophysicists, Molecular Pharmacologists, 
   Structural Biologists actively involved in R & D in the area of protein 
   engineering/protein modeling. The workshop will be useful from research 
   scholars to senior scientists working in academic institutions or industries.
   
   How To Apply?
   ------------

   Applicants should send their application along, brief resume, and a 
   statement of purpose briefly describing how this workshop will be useful 
   to their research work.

   REGISTRATION
   ------------
   
   Registration Fee:
   
   Academic:   Faculty  Rs. 500/-
               Students Rs. 300/-
   
   Industry:            Rs. 3000/- 

   Last Date: Applications must reach before September 20, 1995.

   Accommodation: Applicants needing accommodation must send request along with registration form.

   Travel Assistance: No travel assistance will be provided to the participants. TA/DA must be met by the 
   participants' own sources.
   
   Number of Participants: There will be maximum of twenty(20) participants.

    ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
    --------------------   
   
   Dr. C. M. Gupta		Chairman 
   Dr. Amit Ghosh		Co - chairman 
   Dr. Naresh Kumar		Member 
   Dr. G. Sahn			Member 
   Dr. R. M. Vohra		Member 
   Mr. C. R. Suri		Member 
   Mr. G. P. S. Raghava		Secretary 
   Mr. Bijay Singh		Member 
   Dr. Mrigank			Member 

                                             
   REGISTRATION FORM
   -----------------

                                   NATIONAL
                             WORKSHOP ON COMPUTER 
                             AIDED PROTEIN DESIGN

   1.  Name (Mr./Ms)....................................
   2.  Designation .........................................
   3. Department/Institute...........................                   
   ......................................................................
   4.  Address for communication...............
   ......................................................................
   ......................................................................
    5. Telephone No. & Fax No......................

   6. Whether accommodation required .....

   Date............... 
   
                                 Signature of the candidate

   N.B. Please include your resume and statement of purpose with this form. 
   Please do not  send registration fee with this form. Registration fee 
   would be procured from applicants selected for workshop after selection.

   THE CENTRE
   ----------

   Bioinformatics Centre(BIC) at IMTECH was established in 1987 by Department 
   of Biotechnology, Govt. of India. The objectives of the Centre is to create
   the infrastructure in the field of protein engineering and protein modeling.
   The resources available at the Centre includes :
   
   Hardware: DEC Alpha workstations (one DEC 3000/600 and seven DEC 3000/300LX)
   , PCs (Two 486, one 386, two 286) and one MicroVax II system.
   
   Software: AMBER , RasMol, MidasPlus, X-plor, MicroGenie, GMAP, DNAOPT, Cang,
   Hpat, DNASIZE, CPSSD, CONFang, GAMESS, BOSS, Modeller,  etc.
   
   Databases: PDB, ATLAS (PIR,NRL_3D,ALN), CODONtab, RESTseq, Cang, Hpat, 
   PROSITE, Rotamer Library(Dunbruck and Karplus), DSSP etc. 
   
   Communication and other facilities: All the systems in the Centre are 
   networked using TCP/IP on a ethernet. E-mail, access to internet, 
   literature search etc.
   
   THE CITY
   --------

   Chandigarh offers a rich fare of places of tourist interest such as the 
   Rock Garden, Pinjore Garden, Botanical Garden and Sukhna Lake.  The weather
   here in November is very pleasant (temperature 15o-25oC). Chandigarh is 
   well connected by bus/Train/Air from Delhi. Many trains pass Via Ambala 
   which is about 45 Km away from Chandigarh. There is frequent bus service 
   between Ambala and Chandigarh.

   CORRESPONDANCE
   --------------

   G. P. S. Raghava, Coordinator
   Bioinformatics Centre.
   Institute of Microbial Technology
   Sector 39 A, Chandigarh-160 014.
   
   Phones:  0172-690004,  0172-690908,
   Telex: 0395-7369-IMT-IN Gram : IMTECH
   Fax : 0172-690585, 0172-690632
______________________________________________________________________________

There will be opportunity of venders to advertize and demonstrate their
product. Intereseted people can ask for details

Mrigank   
----
/Mrigank                             \/ Phone  +91 172 690557               \
\Institute of Microbial Technology   /\ Email:  [email-masked]     /
/Sector 39A,                         \/ FAX: +91 172 690585                 \
\Chandigarh 160 014 India.           /\                                     /
 \//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//\//  
  Science does not have a country, But Scientist has one -L. Pastuer