Subject: Re: CCL:Java chemistry applets?

From: [email-masked] (Hinsen Konrad)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:06:21 -0400

Sun has been promoting a new programming language, java, as a tool
   for creating portable applications on internet.  Instead of constantly
   going back to the host for additional information (a response to a mouse
   click, for example), the applet executes on the local client.

And others have had similar ideas, as always... There is a beta test
version of a new Web browser called Grail, which uses Python as its
programming language for such applets. Look at
  http://monty.cnri.reston.va.us/grail/
for details.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Konrad Hinsen                     | E-Mail: [email-masked]
Departement de chimie             | Tel.: +1-514-343-6111 ext. 3953
Universite de Montreal            | Fax:  +1-514-343-7586
C.P. 6128, succ. A                | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/Nederlands/
Montreal (QC) H3C 3J7             | Francais (phase experimentale)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian W. Beck)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 1995 08:56:42 -0800 (PDT)

Rzepa, Henry wrote:
: 
: Another consideration will be to establish standards. What we do not
: need is many and perhaps competing applets for say visualising molecules,
: or their orbitals etc etc. Thus there must be around 20-50 molecular
: viewers of various sorts out there as stand alone applications, and
: heaven forbid we get similar proliferation of Java applets.
: 
: Dr Henry Rzepa, Department Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7 2AY.

	Not necessarily. The impression I got was that this type of approach,
	whether run on the server or the client (as for applets) is to
	display specific types of information or display the information
	in a particular fashion. Whether the user ends up rotating 
	cytochrome c on the "cytochrom page" with program1 but rotates
	napthalene on the "napthalene page" with program2 shouldn't make
	any differences as long the information the page authors wish to
	get across is evident. There will certainly be a desire to not
	re-invent the wheel (as evidenced by this mailing list), thus many
	authors will probably try to use others' algorithms. Fresh approaches
	often bring in new ideas, however.

	-Brian
-- 
=============================================================================
|   .---------.| Brian W. Beck      |    E-mail Addresses:                  |
|/\ |         ||--------------------|        [email-masked]        |
|| \\     WSU || Biochem/Biophysics |   [email-masked]                  |
|\  -        *|| WSU ,  206 Fulmer  |  URL  http://elmo.chem.wsu.edu/~brian |
| |           || Pullman, WA        |    VOICE    (509) 335-4083            |
| \___________||       99164-4660   |      FAX    (509) 335-9688            |
=============================================================================