Subject: Amsterdam DF calcs on a Dec Alpha

From: [email-masked] (Kristine Butcher)
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 13:03:07 -0700

Hello everyone,

I am seeking information regarding the use of the Amsterdam Density
Functional program package (ADF) on a Dec Alpha machine.  Before I purchase
the ADF program (to replace my trouble-prone Xalpha-scattered wave method)
I want to make sure that I won't run into costly technical difficulties.  I
am on the faculty at a small, liberal-arts school with no money for
last-minute RAM upgrades, etc. 

I will be using a Dec Alpha 2000/300 machine running OSF/1 3.2A as its
operating system.  It has 128 mB of RAM, with about half a gigabyte of disk
space available to me.  This machine is also our campus mail server, and
host to several other Internet-related softwares (I have to share it with
many people!).  The clusters I will be studying are generally 30 atoms or
fewer, and of relatively high symmetry.  I would like to hear from anyone
running ADF under same/similar conditions as to ease of installation, RAM
and disk space recommendations, and any other considerations.

Thank you,

Kristine Butcher

**************************************************************************
* Kristine D. Butcher                     [email-masked] *
* Department of Chemistry                                                *
* California Lutheran University          phone:  (805) 493-3338         *
* 60 West Olsen Rd.                       FAX:    (805) 493-3479         *
* Thousand Oaks, CA  91360                                               *
**************************************************************************