Subject: Stupid adds

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 1995 22:38:27 -0400

Dear Netters,

Since I already have some comments on the magazine subscription add
let me say that:

1) I have put [email-masked] and [email-masked] into the "reject" file
   so they will not post again...
2) This does not change much, since these are "bootleg", unverified
   addresses, and they can come up next day with different addresses.
3) The only defence against such things is reviewing messages before
   sending to the distribution (I want to do it, if I get the support
   for the list -- still pending...). The other possibility is to
   restrict the priviledge of posting to the subscribers -- this is not
   a good solution because: a) people often post from a different address than
   their subscription, b) many people are reading the list via local
   exploders/groups.
4) Currently the best way of defence against such things is your active and
   unified reaction by sending a protest message (not necessarily
   full of @&*%!! words, but firm) to AN ABUSER (i.e., address on
   from line and address in the foot of the letter). If they got
   a few thousands messages, they would not do it again. If it was an
   established practice of fighting this crap, nobody would dare...
5) Sorry about it, but I am as uneasy about it, as most of you,
   and as hopeless as you are...

Jan Labanowski
[email-masked]