Subject: Re: CCL:PC as a file server?

From: Jussi Eloranta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 07:49:51 +0200 (EET)

>All networking between linux and other unix machines seems to work very 
>well (we use extensive nfs and remote X11).  If your clients are only 
>unix machines, then unix should be your server of choice.  If your 
>clients are LAN machines (eg. windows for workgroups).  Linux can still 
>be used (as we have with Samba).
>

Actually Linux can be server for:

1) nfs (unix)
2) samba (m$ windows)
3) Macintosh network (CAP)
4) Recently someone wrote Netware fileserver application for Linux
   (called linuxware).

We are experimenting with Linux fileserver with XFS (shareware NFS
and printing client for MSDOS). The results this far are very good!
NCSA telnet & ftp and trumpet winsock can be used with xfs too. It is
amazing that single 486/80MHz/16mb can serve our whole laboratory and
still drive our old Varian EPR spectrometer, act as our www server
and serve 2 - 5 simultanous users (running X applications) at the same time!

So why pay considerable amount of money to get these "fancy" systems
that usually don't even work well ;-) Linux is free. If one wants to
do X windows programming then the lack of Motif may be a problem. The
commerical Motif for Linux is about $99 (there is a free port developing
called lesstif or something like that).

Jussi Eloranta

ps. All this stuff is available via non. ftp from sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux
and ftp.funet.fi:/pub/Linux