Subject: Bonding types in Comp. Chem.

From: Patrick Bultinck <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 1995 18:01:35 +0200 (DFT)

Dear,

I have been reading quite a number of articles lately on metal-ligand 
interactions, energy decomposition schemes etc.

Does anybody have a somewhat general review on the use of different terms 
to denote different bonding types in these interactions.

I find it is sometimes quite hard to see things in GOOD perspective. One 
energy decomposition analysis defines polarization differently than 
another, still others speak of electrostatic interaction, while they mean 
ionic bond etc. (electrostatic interaction seems to be a far more general 
term than ionic interaction). Another traditional is polarization 
interaction and covalent bonding. Not seldomly do I lose perspective 
because every other author uses the same term, meaning something (often 
slightly, but importantly) different !

Also, where do I find the covalency in e.g. the Morokuma energy 
decomposition analysis ? There is a little part here, some there etc...

Thanks for your help and/or opinions,

Patrick Bultinck
University of Ghent
Belgium