Subject: X-Windows Clients and Molecular Modeling

From: [email-masked] (Raymond C. Fort, Jr.)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:52:38 -0400

I have recently received an NSF-ILI grant for the purchase of SGI
workstations that will be used to introduce molecular modeling into the
undergraduate and graduate curricula.  Our plan is to run SPARTAN, PCModel,
and MacroModel on the workstations; all are available as X-applications.
Then we will provide student access from a Department PC cluster by running
X-terminal emulators on the PCs.

I would be interested to hear from persons who have successfully applied
this kind of connectivity to modeling software, even if it did not involve
the specific programs cited.  What X-term software is best?  (We currently
are looking at PC-Xware from NCD and XoftWare from Age).  What problems did
you encounter?

Since this could generate considerable bandwidth, please e-mail directly to
me and I will summarize for the list.  

Thanks.
Professor Ray Fort, Jr.             Voice:   (207)-581-1180
Department of Chemistry             FAX:     (207)-581-1191
University of Maine                 E-mail:  [email-masked]
Orono ME 04469                               [email-masked]
         Computational organic chemistry, especially on wood-
                       and paper-related problems