Subject: Compressed PDB list.

From: "NOYM" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 23:13:06 +0100

Dear Colleagues,

The PDB directory currently consists of about 3800 records. However, many
of these are different versions of the same structures (for example different
mutants of the same protein or one protein with a a number of different ligands
or a lot of DNA/RNA structures).

It would, for a number of reasons, be very valuable to have a subset of the
PDB containing representatives ("the best structure") of each unique protein,
and important conformers.

If anybody have done a comprehensive investigation to compile such a list
or if it is already available on the net please let me now !  I'm also 
interrested in any hints how to do this without manually going through every
record in the PDB. 

Of course I'll distribute a summary to the net !

Greetings,
Martin Norin
Pharmacia Biopharmaceuticals
Stockholm, Sweden
e-mail: [email-masked]

---

From: Scott Weston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 21:21:02 -0500 (CDT)

Martin,

I believe Chris Sander at EMBL has already done similar work (Hobohm & 
Sander, Protein Sci., 1994, 3:522-544) which should be accessible via the 
Net/Web at http://www.sander.embl-heidelberg.de.

Good luck,

Scott

=================================================================
Scott Weston                   Lab Phone:  (601) 232-7187
Grad. Student                  Lab FAX:  (601) 232-5118
Dept. of Medicinal Chemistry   Home Phone:  (601) 234-0067
University of Mississippi      [email-masked]
University, MS  38677								
=================================================================

On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, NOYM wrote:

> -------This is added Automatically by the Software--------
> -- Original Sender Envelope Address: [email-masked]
> -- Original Sender From: Address: [email-masked]
> [email-masked]: Everybody | [email-masked]: Coordinator
> [email-masked]: HELP CHEMISTRY or HELP SEARCH | Gopher: www.ccl.net 73
> Anon. ftp: www.ccl.net   | [email-masked] -- archive search
>              Web: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html 
> 
>