Subject: Re: CCL:pdb file generator

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 95 21:22:38 EST

>  Does anyone know of a program, free or commercial that will create a
>pdb file given the amino acid sequence. Either a MS Windows or UNIX
>program would be great to have.  A graphical display is not required.

CS Chem3D Pro (available for Windows and Macintosh, but not UNIX) will do this,
depending on what you want to do.  That is, it can take an amino acid sequence
and output a file in PDB format that represents one possible configuration
of that protein, but anything relating to secondary or tertiary structure
is pulled out of mostly-thin air.  The current C&E News has a nice article
about two programs that attempt to predict secondary and tertiary protein
structures.

More information (about Chem3D, not C&E News) is available at 
http://www.camsci.com
The ACS has been pretty good about putting computer-related articles
on http://pubs.acs.org, but this week's article isn't there at the moment.

Jonathan Brecher
CambridgeSoft Corporation
[email-masked]