Subject: SAS of nucleic acids

From: [email-masked] (Leclerc Fabrice)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 16:46:18 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

	I'm looking for a program that would allow me to calculate the
solvent-accessible surfaces of nucleic acids, in a similar way to what
was done by Charles J. Alden & Sung-Hou Kim (J. Mol Biol., 1979, 132, 
411-434). If possible, this program should also permit to measure the
group type exposures. The two authors cited above wrote a program to 
do such calculations, but I do not know if it's available. Maybe, some
other programs exist. A program based on the Shrake and Rupley algorithm 
would be prefered. 
	I would greatly appreciate your help.
Thanks.

bye,

 \  /\
  \/  \______________________________________
  /\                                      
 A--T       Fabrice Leclerc               
(----)      Departement de Biochimie
 G--C       Universite de Montreal        
  \/        C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-Ville 
  /\        Montreal, Quebec H3C 3J7      
 T--A       Canada
(----)      tel. +1 (514)343-6111 poste 5354
 C--G       fax. +1 (514)343-2177
  \/        [email-masked]
  /\    _____________________________________
 /  \  /
     \/

---

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 18:06:36 -0600 (CST)

> other programs exist. A program based on the Shrake and Rupley algorithm 

One of the common algorithms for doing what you are asking has been
implemented by Fred Richards (Yale) in a program called ACCESS.  This is
the de facto standard for calculating protein solvent accessible surface
areas.  You can obtain ACCESS by contacting Patrick Fleming at:
[email-masked].

Pat has ported the VAX code to Unix.  
Cheers
-raman
-- 
   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
   _/                                                                      _/
   _/                           C.S.RAMAN                                  _/
   _/                   Department of Biochemistry                         _/
   _/            University of Texas Health Science Center                 _/
   _/                     7703 Floyd Curl Drive                            _/
   _/                  San Antonio, TX 78284-7760                          _/
   _/                              USA                                     _/
   _/                                                                      _/
   _/                    Tel:     (210) 567-6623                           _/
   _/                    Fax:     (210) 567-6595                           _/
   _/                 E-mail:  [email-masked]                    _/
   _/                                                                      _/
   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/  
   _/                                                                      _/
   _/      How can it be that mathematics, a product of human thought      _/ 
   _/      independent of experience, is so admirably adapted to the       _/ 
   _/      objects of reality?   -Albert Einstein                          _/
   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/