Subject: ACD Labs

From: Eric Slone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 14:43:40 -0500 (EST)

After noting a number of postings and messages regarding this company and 
their software in these forums, I have decided to post this "warning" 
regarding this company and their software.

We acted as a beta site for the ACD Labs software, and through the 
representative we dealt with, met all of the requirements they set.  We 
had even demonstrated the software for a number of people for them on one 
occassion and distributed their literature at a conference.  

We began having problems reinstalling our copy of the software after 
replacing a hard disk on one of our computers.  Several calls to ACD 
revealed that this was something of a known issue and that they didn't 
know why it happened.  We were told that a new set of disks would be sent 
out immediately (by the president of ACD).

We never got the disks.  After a month of waiting, we called and were 
told we wouldn't be getting any new disks.  In fact, we were told we were 
such a non-compliant beta site that we wouldn't be getting any support at 
all.  The person we had originally dealt with had left the company, and 
the new person apparently had a different way of doing things.  Requests 
to speak with someone higher in the company were denied, correspondence 
went unanswered.

Finally we reached someone else in the company who, after some 
investigation, echoed the earlier response.  Our earlier efforts and 
assistance apparently meant nothing to ACD.

I felt it my obligation to members of this list to make this information 
known.  I have never said anything against any software company before, 
nor have I experienced any problems like this; and I beta test a lot of 
software.  Considerable effort and time was invested with ACD Labs on our 
part and yet all we got from them was buggy, non-functional software and 
non-responsiveness.  To date this issue has not been resolved.

I would only caution you to beware and be careful.

Eric

________________________________________________________________________________

 J. Eric Slone                         

 Internet:   [email-masked]
 Compuserve: 73757,2776                "True science teaches, above all, to
 Fax:        (703) 751-6639             doubt, and to be ignorant."
 Pager:      (202) 597-2373                               Miguel de Unamuno
 Voice:      (703) 461-7078
________________________________________________________________________________