Subject: Experimental Design Course

From: [email-masked] (Peter Hindmarch)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 13:25:56 +0000 (GMT)

Course on Experimental Design

			School of Chemistry
			University of Bristol  
			Bristol, UK

			25-27 March 1996

Bristol Chemometrics announces a two-and-a-half day course on 
Experimental Design. 

Programme
---------

The course is aimed at practising scientists who are interested in how
experimental design can help in their work, but are not familiar with the
wide battery of methods and applications possible. This will not be an
advanced course, but be application oriented. 

The course will cover several topics. Each topic will be organized as a
session of approximately one-and-a-half hours in duration, consisting of
(a) a lecture, and (b) one or more case studies and / or software
demonstration. 

Software used to demonstrate experimental design will include the
spreadsheet Excel and an English language version of the experimental
design pacakge NEMROD (authors: R Phan-Tan-Luu and D Mathieu). 

Three main aspects include screening, optimisation and quantitative 
modelling. Detailed aspects are as follows. 

   Factorial designs 
   Partial factorial and Plackett-Burman designs 
   ANOVA 
   Simplex and steepest ascent 
   Central composite, face centred cube and star designs 
   D-optimal designs - choice of optimal subset of experiments 
   Mixture designs 
   How confidence in regression models relates to design 
   Design for univariate calibration 
   Design for multivariate calibration 
   Multicriteria optimisation. 

A wide variety of examples, including analytical chemistry, mixture 
formulation, synthesis, pharmaceutical chemistry and quality control will 
be described. 

Speakers
---------
Richard Brereton, Univeristy of Bristol
Giuliana Drava, University of Genova.

Registration Fee
----------------

The registration fee of #250 includes full documentation of all
presentations, all lunches and evening meals, coffee and tea. 
Accommodation is not included, and accommodation lists can be sent on
request. 

A limited number of concessionary places are available for bona fide
students (letter from supervisor required) at a reduced fee of #150. This
includes documentation, meals and refreshments but excludes 
accommodation. 

Further Details
---------------

See WWW page at http://zeus.bris.ac.uk/~chph/brischem.html

Email 		[email-masked]

Contact		Caroline Hutcheon 
		School of Chemistry 
		University of Bristol 
		Cantock's Close 
		BRISTOL 
		BS8 1TS 
		UK 

		Tel +44 (0)117 928 9000 ext 4421 
		Fax +44 (0)117 924 1295