Subject: Drug.dna ListServer (New)

From: "Dave THURSTON (Pharmacy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 17:04:40 EST

Dear Colleague,

I am writing to ask you whether you would be interested in joining an
E-Mail ListServer dedicated to those of us interested in the area of
Drug-DNA interactions.  To the best of my knowledge there is no
ListServer currently available that is dedicated to this cause, although
snippets of information turn up on a number of international Medicinal 
Chemistry and Organic Chemistry Bulletin Boards and ListServers.
I thought, therefore, that the time is right to set one up.

For those of you not too familiar with ListServers, the idea is that you
subscribe to the "List" by sending a simple E-Mail message.  Once
subscribed, if you have something interesting to say about Drug-DNA
interactions - perhaps a paper that has recently interested you, a point
made at a recent conference, or a question that someone else may be
able to help with - you simply send the message to the List.  The
computer programme then automatically sends your comment/question
out to everyone on the List.  When a ListServer works well, it is almost 
equivalent to a "Virtual Conference".  Working well depends on the
enthusiasm and support of those subscribed - so I do hope you will join
me in this venture.

To subscribe to the List, please send an E-Mail message to:

[email-masked]

There is no need to give a Subject Title to your message.  However,
on the first line of the body of the text to your message, please write:

subscribe drug.dna

Please put a "Return" at the end of this line to avoid any headers being
added automatically by your own software.

You should then receive a message from the ListServer with information
about your subscription.  You will then be ready to  start communicating
 with other List members.

Obviously it may take a few weeks (or even months) for the number of
subscribed members to reach the level where useful exchanges of
information can take place.  However, it is worth being patient.  Once I
have detected a "core" number of subscribed members, say 50 to 100,
I will ask everyone to send a brief message to introduce themselves to
other List members.

Please pass this E-Mail message on to any colleagues (either in the UK
or elsewhere) who may be interested in drug-DNA interactions.
Perhaps you would also pass it on to any chemically-oriented
ListServers or Bulletin Boards to which you belong.

Hope to see you on the List.

With Kind Regards

David E. Thurston

Professor David E. Thurston
Anti-Cancer Drug Design Unit
Division of Medicinal Chemistry
School of Pharmacy
University of Portsmouth
Park Building
King Henry Ist Street
Portsmouth, Hants.
PO1 2DZ    UK

Internet: [email-masked]
Phone:    +44 01705-842632 (Direct/Answer Phone)
Mobile:   0973-499429 (Orange Network)
Fax:      +44 01705-84262