Subject: Call for Papers - Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology '96

From: "David J. States" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 16:43:52 -0600

The Fourth International Conference on Computational Biology
         Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology '96
                        June 12-15, 1996
       Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA

                 http://ibc.wustl.edu/ismb96

                        Call For Papers

An electronic mailing list can be joined by sending a message to
[email-masked] with the word "subscribe" as the body of the
message.

                          Key Dates

Meeting:                June 12-15, 1996
Paper Submissions
  Papers due:           Feb 1, 1996
  Replies to authors:   Mar 15, 1996
  Revised papers due:   Apr 1, 1996
Open Poster Submissions
  Abstracts due:        Apr 1, 1996
Tutorial Proposals
  Full proposals due:   March 18, 1996
  Replies to authors:   April 1, 1996
  Draft handouts due:   April 15, 1996
  Final handouts due:   May 13, 1996
  Tutorials presented:  June 12, 1996

The purpose of the ISMB conference is to disseminate the latest
developments in computational molecular biology and biophysics and to
stimulate new work on the application of intelligent computational
systems to problems in molecular biology. ISMB is a multidisciplinary
conference bringing together scientists from computer science,
mathematics, statistics, and molecular biology.  Its scope extends to
any computational method or system supporting a biological task that
is algorithmically, cognitively, or conceptually challenging, involves
a synthesis of heterogeneous information, or exhibits the emergent
properties of an "intelligent system." From a computational
perspective, areas of interest include adaptive systems, intelligent
experimental control, data modeling, machine learning, artificial
intelligence, combinatorics, stochastic optimization, string and graph
algorithms, linguistic methods, and parallel computer
technologies. Biological areas of interest include molecular
structure, genomics, molecular sequence analysis, evolution and
phylogenetics, adaptive experimental systems, and molecular
biology. Emphasis is placed on the validation of methods using real
data sets and on practical application in the biological sciences.

The ISMB conference has attracted a large and enthusiastic audience
comprising scientists involved in application areas such as artificial
intelligence, structural biology, DNA, RNA and protein sequence
analysis and structure prediction, genome mapping, gene
identification, molecular biology data and knowledge bases, and the
modeling of biochemical processes. We are continuing the tradition of
soliciting original papers, which will be rigorously refereed and
published (by AAAI Press and the MIT Press) in proceedings available
at the conference. The conference proceedings are indexed in the
Medline database. The previous ISMB meetings were

  1993: National Library of Medicine, USA
  1994: Stanford University, USA
  1995: Cambridge University, UK

The four-day conference will feature introductory and advanced
tutorials on June 12th and presentations of original refereed papers,
posters, and invited talks (June 13-15).

There will be special sessions at the conference on "Whole Genomes:
Challenges and Implications," and on the "Interconnection of Molecular
Biology Databases (MIMBD)." A test suite of raw data will be set aside
to evaluate base-calling and gene-finding programs. A job fair and a
vendor fair are also being organized.

Organizing committee
  David States ([email-masked])
  Terry Gaasterland ([email-masked])
  Randall Smith ([email-masked])

Keynote Speakers
  Robert Waterston, Washington Univ., St. Louis
  David Haussler, Univ. of California, Santa Cruz
  Russell Doolittle, Univ. of California, San Diego
  Chris Sander, EMBL, Heidelberg

Contact address
ISMB '96
Institute for Biomedical Computing
Washington University School of Medicine
700 South Euclid Avenue
St. Louis, MO  63110-1012
USA
Phone: (314) 362-2134
FAX:   (314) 362-0234