Subject: Workshop announcement

From: [email-masked] (Kirk Peterson)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 15:22:31 -0800 (PST)

ANNOUNCEMENT:

          Workshop in Relativistic Quantum Mechanics

          by Dr. Ken Dyall (NASA Ames Research Center)

                   January 15 - 19, 1996

                           at the

         Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
            Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
                        Richland, WA

         Sponsered by :

         Theory, Modeling, and Simulation
         Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
         Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

  The workshop/short course will consist of a total of 16 lectures over a 
period of 5 days.  An equal number of tutorials for discussion and problem 
solving are also scheduled during this time.  The goals of the course are to 
provide the theoretical ground work necessary for research involving relativistic 
quantum mechanics. The course was originally taught last spring in Denmark at
the graduate level ("Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Chemistry").

    Topics to be covered include:

        "Classical" relativity, E&M, and quantization
        Relativistic quantum mechanics with the Dirac equation
        Four-component wave functions
        Quantum Electrodynamics
        Symmetry and double groups
        Dirac Hartree Fock and electron correlation
        Two-component wave functions 
        Douglas-Kroll transformation
        Spin and spin-orbit coupling
        Perturbation theory
        Effective core potentials (ECPs)

Further information, including registration materials, can be accessed via
the Web at http://w3.pnl.gov:2080/quantum/index.html/

Specific questions can be directed to Kirk Peterson at [email-masked]

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is a multiprogram national laboratory 
operated by Battelle Memorial Institute, under Contract No. DE-AC06-76RLO 1830.