Subject: GAUSSIAN 94 WORKSHOP

From: [email-masked] (Balaji Veeraraghavan)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 07:52:30 -0600

************************************************************************* 

 The National Center for Supercomputing Applications and
    Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc. are pleased to announce:

 INTRODUCTION TO GAUSSIAN:  THEORY AND PRACTICE

 Date:      February 27 - March 1, 1996

 Location:  Silicon Graphics, Inc. Mountain View, Ca.

 The National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA) in conjunction
 with Silicon Graphics, Inc. (SGI) are pleased to sponsor "Introduction to
 Gaussian:  Theory and Practice."  This workshop will be presented in
 conjunction with Gaussian, Inc. and Semichem, Inc., from February 27 to
 March 1, 1996 in the SGI facilities in Mountain View, California.

 The workshop will cover the full range of methods available in the
 Gaussian package with emphasis on new methods and features which make
 Gaussian applicable to an ever widening spectrum of research applications.
 The workshop is structured to provide an introduction to electronic structure
 theory as well as a hands-on review for researchers active in the field.
 The workshop is open to researchers at all levels of academic, government
 and industrial research.

      Instructors:

        Prof. Gustavo Scuseria              Rice University
        Prof. George A. Petersson           Wesleyan University
        Dr. Douglas J. Fox                  Gaussian, Inc.
        
        Dr. Roberto Gomperts                Silicon Graphics, Inc.
        Dr. Balaji Veeraraghavan            NCSA 

      Tentative Agenda Topics:

        Introduction to Electronic Structure Theory
        Model Chemistries: A Framework for Understanding Electronic
            Structure Theory Results
        MCSCF Methods and Applications
        Geometry Optimization Techniques
        Electron Correlation Methods
        Density Functional Theory Methods
        Excited States via CI Singles
        Thermochemistry via Model Chemistries
        Interpretation of Gaussian 94 Results
        Predicting Molecular Properties
        Solvent Effects on Molecular Electronic Structure
        Gaussian Utilities
        Estimating Resource Requirements

 There will be hands-on sessions each day between the morning and  afternoon
 lectures.  Additional hands-on sessions will be available  until the building
 closes. Workshop participants will be provided with use of an SGI
 workstation to complete exercises, experiment and/or conduct short research
 topics.  Each workshop participant will also be provided a copy of the lecture
 notes and a copy of the Gaussian 94 User's Reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 APPLICATION PROCEDURE

 All applicants must submit the attached application form and a cover
 letter which briefly (one or two paragraphs) describes your current
 research and how participating in this workshop will enhance your
 research.  The cover letter should also include one or two sentences
 indicating your level of experience with computers. Seats are limited
 and the potential applicants are encouraged to send the application
 material ASAP.

 Costs:

 Workshop registration: $250.00

 Hotel accomodations: A list of hotel accomodations in the vicinity of the
 SGI facility will be made available to all registrants.  Hotel accomodations
 will be the responsibility of each participant. A list of nearby
 hotels will be provided upon registration, local transportation will also
 be arranged.

 Meals:  Meals will be the responsibility of each participant.

 PLEASE RETURN YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS TO:

        Workshop coordinator
        Gaussian, Inc.
        Carnegie Office Park
        Bldg. 6, Suite 230
        Pittsburgh, PA  15106 USA

  Additional information can be obtained from

        Telephone: (412) 279-6700
        Fax:       (412) 279-2118
        Email:     [email-masked]

 DEADLINES:

        Receipt of Registration Materials:      February 9, 1996

 APPLICATION FORM:

 Name:

 Affiliation:

 Address:

 Telephone:

 Facsimile:

 E-Mail Address:

 Nationality:

 Passport Number (for noncitizens):

 Machine and User Account Name:

 Please indicate your Research Standing (check one):

 Faculty _______    Postdoctorate _______   Graduate Student ______
 Undergraduate Student _______   University Research Staff _______
 University Non-Research Staff ______  Government _______
 Industrial  ______  Other ______

 Remember to include the cover letter with the additional information.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------

 This notice is sent without warranty  of any kind, expressed or implied
 by Gaussian, Inc. or SGI. Gaussian is a trademark of Gaussian, Inc.

****************************************************************************

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Balaji Veeraraghavan, Ph. D.            Phone  : 217-333-2754
Research Programmer, Chemistry          Fax    : 217-244-2909
NCSA                                    email  : [email-masked]
4151 Beckman Institute                         
405 N. Mathews Avenue                         
Urbana, IL 61801
-----------------------------------------------------------------------