Subject: CCL: biomedical workshops at the PSC

From: "Marcela Madrid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 14:19:57 -0500

Biomedical Workshops typically consist of theoretical lectures taught by
leaders in the respective scientific discipline,  and extensive hands-on
computer sessions. During the computer sessions, participants are able to work
on the examples provided or on their own experimental data.
Attendance is limited to 20 participants to allow one-on-one instruction
and encourage scientific interactions and discussions.
Application deadlines are six weeks prior to the workshop. Researchers
nationwide are invited to apply. The following four workshops will
be offered during 1996.
For additional information on Biomedical Workshops,
 	please refer to the online material at URL
http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops.html

Supercomputing Techniques for Biomedical Researchers; May 6-10, 1996.
The purpose of this workshop is to introduce attendees to the concepts of
supercomputing.  The main goal is to provide researchers a firm basis from
which to analyze their applications for implementation in a supercomputing
environment.  After a brief introduction to PSC's supercomputing environment,
including the architectures of the CRAY C90 and T3E, various vector and
massively parallel programming models, their differences and similarities,
their strengths and weaknesses will be discussed.  Message passing, performance
monitoring, optimization techniques, and heterogeneous supercomputing will be
introduced with emphasis on practical considerations.  Specific real-world
biomedical supercomputing applications will be presented to illustrate these
concepts.  Finally, a panel discussion will attempt to address researchers'
individual application questions.

Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis; June 9-14, 1996.
Emphasis will be on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple
sequences. Topics to be discussed include
 Comparing and aligning sequences
 Identifying informative patterns in a set of sequences
 Using extracted informative patterns to identify related sequences.
Leaders are Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University, Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas, Jr.,
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center and Dr. Michael Gribskov, San DIego
Supercomputing Center.

Methods and Applications of Molecular Mechanics and Dynamics to
Molecules of Biological Interest; August 7-10, 1996.
Instructors include  Prof. Peter A. Kollman, UCSF,
Dr. David Case, the Scripps Research Institute, Thomas Cheatham, UCSF, and
Bill Ross, UCSF. General aspects of molecular
mechanics and dynamics theory and software will be discussed. The program AMBER
will be utilized extensively in demonstrations.

Advanced Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis; Dates TBA.
Open to researchers who have previously attended one of the PSC's
annual "Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis" workshops or who
have appreciable experience with computerized sequence analysis.  The
workshop will build on previous experience to teach techniques for
analyzing families and superfamilies of genes and proteins.