Subject: WORKSHOPS at PSC

From: "Marcela Madrid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 16:12:09 -0500

PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
Biomedical Workshops offered by the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
typically consist of theoretical lectures taught by
leaders in the respective scientific discipline,  and extensive hands-on
computer sessions. During the computer sessions, participants are able to work
on the examples provided or on their own experimental data.
Attendance is limited to 20 participants to allow one-on-one instruction
and encourage scientific interactions and discussions.
Application deadlines are six weeks prior to the workshop. Researchers
nationwide are invited to apply.
For additional information, please refer to
 	http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops.html
CONTACT INFORMATION: Nancy Blankenstein, Biomedical Program Assistant,
(412)268-4960, [email-masked]

The following four workshops will be offered during 1996:

SUPERCOMPUTING TECHNIQUES FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS; May 6-10.
The purpose of this workshop is to introduce attendees to the
concepts of supercomputing.  The main goal is to provide researchers
with a firm basis from which to analyze their applications for implementation
in a supercomputing environment.  After a brief introduction to
PSC's supercomputing environment,
including the architectures of the CRAY C90 and T3E, various vector and
massively parallel programming models, their differences and similarities,
their strengths and weaknesses will be discussed.  Message passing,
performance monitoring, optimization techniques, and
heterogeneous supercomputing will be
introduced with emphasis on practical considerations.  Specific real-world
biomedical supercomputing applications will be presented to illustrate these
concepts.  Finally, a panel discussion will attempt to address researchers'
individual application questions.

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS; June 9-14.
Emphasis will be on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple
sequences. Topics to be discussed include
 Comparing and aligning sequences
 Identifying informative patterns in a set of sequences
 Using extracted informative patterns to identify related sequences.
Leaders are Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University;
 Dr. Michael Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputing Center and
Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas, Jr., Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.

METHODS AND APPLICATIONS OF MOLECULAR MECHANICS AND DYNAMICS TO MOLECULES
OF BIOLOGICAL INTEREST; August 7-10.
Instructors include  Dr. David Case, the Scripps Research Institute,
Thomas Cheatham, UCSF; Prof. Peter A. Kollman, UCSF, Dr. David A. Pearlman,
Vertex Pharmaceuticals; and Bill Ross, UCSF.
General aspects of molecular mechanics and dynamics theory and software
will be discussed. The program AMBER will be utilized extensively
in demonstrations.

ADVANCED NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS; Dates TBA.
Open to researchers who have previously attended one of the PSC's
annual "Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis" workshops or who
have appreciable experience with computerized sequence analysis.  The
workshop will build on previous experience to teach techniques for
analyzing families and superfamilies of genes and proteins.