Subject: Tripos To Provide Aldrich Catalog Database In UNITY/UNISON Format

From: "Sheila Ash" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 09:41:26 -0600

This press release is cross posted.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:Michael Sullivan
Marketing Communications Manager
800-323-2960
314-647-1099
[email-masked]

Tripos Reaches Agreement with Aldrich Chemical To Provide Catalog Database in 
UNITY/UNISON Format

	St. Louis, MO January 2, 1996 Today Tripos, Inc. (NASDAQ: TRPS) and 
Aldrich Chemcial Co. (Milawaukee, Wisconsin) announced an agreement to provide 
the Aldrich chemical database in UNITY/UNISON format. UNITY/UNISON is Tripos' 
client-server chemical information management system used by pharmaceutical and 
chemical companies worldwide.

	The new database will include information from the Aldrich, Sigma, 
Fluka, Supeloc, and Rare Chemicals catalogs. The Aldrich collection is the most 
extensive dataset of available chemicals with over a hundred thousand compounds.

	Tripos will use its Concord technology to convert the 2D chemical 
structural data into 3D structures. The 3D structures may be searched using the 
UNITY system to find commercially available compounds matching user defined 
pharmacophores or a set of structural characteristics. These searches will play 
a key role in the discovery of new chemical and pharmaceutical products.

	"The Aldrich chemical database is a recognized standard in the industry. 
Access to this dataset through UNITY/UNISON will allow chemists to combine 
chemical availability with structural and biological parameters in their route 
to new chemical discovery and applications," said Sheila Ash, Marketing Manager 
for Chemical Information at Tripos.

	"The availability of the Aldrich collection of chemicals in UNITY/UNISON 
format will be important to the implementation of new combinatorial chemistry 
strategies by helping to target commercially available chemical building blocks. 
These components are critical to the development of potentially new products," 
stated Dr. Mark Schwartz, Vice President of Accelerated Discovery Services (ADS) 
at Tripos.

	Tripos plans to make the Aldrich chemical database available in the new 
format during the Spring of 1996.

	Aldrich Chemical Co., based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is one of the 
world's largest sources of chemical and biochemical products for research use. 

	Tripos, Inc., founded in 1979, is the recognized leading supplier of 
scientific software and services to facilitate the discovery of new therapeutic 
and bioactive compounds in pharmaceutical, biotechnology, chemical and 
agrochemical industries.