Subject: Symposium on Protein Folding

From: Daniel Ripoll <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 14:52:03 -0500

International Symposium on
 
THEORETICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL ASPECTS OF PROTEIN FOLDING

June 17 - 21, 1996
Universidad Nacional de San Luis,  
San Luis - Argentina

Organizing Committee
Scheraga, H.A. (Cornell)
Skolnick, J. (California)
Vila, J. (San Luis)
Ripoll, D. (Cornell)
Ciuffo, G. (San Luis)
Alessandrini, J. (La Plata)
Benegas, J. (San Luis)

San Luis, December 1995

Dear Colleague:

This is our second announcement with information about the International 
Symposium on Theoretical and Experimental Aspects of Protein Folding to 
be held in San Luis, Argentina, during June 17-21, 1996. We have already 
received an important number of contributions indicating that the Symposium 
has raised great interest in the Biophysical Chemistry community. 
Posters sessions will be an important means for attendees to share ideas and
techniques. We encourage you to submit a manuscript by the deadline of April
15, 1996. The registration fee has been fixed at U$ 350 for participants and
accompanying persons. This includes lodging and meals at the international
Hotel Potrero de Los Funes during the Symposium. To help us to obtain a
better organization, please read carefully the enclosed information. We look
forward to meet you in San Luis.

Sincerely yours

				The Organizing Committee

_______________________

For Information Contact:

Prof. J. Vila
Protein Folding - UNSL
Instituto de Matematica Aplicada San Luis
Ejercito de Los Andes 950
(5700) San Luis - Argentina

or through Email to: 
    [email-masked]

More detailed information can also be found at our WWW page: 
                http://linux0.unsl.edu.ar/sym/

GENERAL INFORMATION 
                      
The goal  of  this  Symposium  is  to  provide  an  objective assessment  of
our current ability to predict protein three dimensional structure from
amino acid sequence. The main subjects to be cover by the invited speakers
are: Prediction of Secondary and Tertiary Structure - Empirical Potentials -
Multiple Minima Problem - Molecular Dynamics and Molecular Mechanics
Simulations - NMR and CD Applications - Structural Basis of Drug Design -
Site Directed Mutagenesis. The Symposium is organized by the Universidad
Nacional de San Luis on behalf of the International Centre for Genetic
Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB) Trieste, Italy. Co-sponsoring institutions 
and agencies are: the Gobierno de La Provincia de San Luis (Argentina),
Fundacion Antorchas (Argentina), Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones
Cientificas y Tecnicas (CONICET), Instituto de Matematica Aplicada San Luis
(IMASL), International Union for Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). At his
time is under consideration the co-sponsorships of the Third World Academy
of Sciences (TWAS) and of the International Union for Pure and Applied
Biophysics (IUPAB). "IUPAC sponsorship implies that entry visas will be
granted to all bona fide chemists provided application is made not less than
three months in advance. If a visa is not granted one month before the
meeting, the IUPAC Secretariat should be notified without delay by the
applicant".

GUEST SPEAKERS 

Cohen, F.E., University of California at San Francisco -USA
	`Protein Structure Prediction: Prions and Parasitic Disease'

Dill, K. A., University of California at San Francisco-USA
	`A Simple Model Perspective on Protein Folding'

Erijman, L., Instituto de Investigaciones en Ingenieria Genetica y Biologia Molecular
        CONICET-ARGENTINA (*)

Ermacora, M., Instituto de Quimica y Fisico-Quimica Biologicas CONICET-ARGENTINA
	`Mapping the Structure of Protein Nonnative States Using Reactive Oxygen
	Species as a Probe'

Fersht, A., University of Cambridge- ENGLAND (*)

Go, N., Faculty of Science, Kyoto University- JAPAN
	`Harmonic and Anharmonic Aspects of Conformational Dynamics of  Native Protein'

Grigera, R., Instituto de Fisica de Liquidos y Sistemas Biologicos CONICET-ARGENTINA
	`Electrical Interactions in Proteins and the Folding Process'

Kidera, A., Biomolecular Engineering Research Institute - JAPAN
	`Enhanced Conformational Sampling in Monte Carlo and Molecular Dynamics	
        Simulations: Applications of Multicanonical (entropy sampling) algorithm'

Liwo, A., University of Gdansk - POLAND
	`A Knowledge-Based United-Residue Force Field for Off-Lattice Calculations of
        Protein - Structure that Recognizes Native Folds'

Maigret, B., University of Nancy - FRANCE
	`Computer Modeling of G Protein-Coupled Receptors: Promises and Drawbacks'

Montelione, G., Rutgers University - USA
	`Dynamics in Protein-Protein Complexes'	

Sander, C., European Molecular Biology Laboratory - GERMANY
	`From Genome Sequence to Protein Function'

Scheraga, H.A., Cornell University - USA
	`Approaches to the Multiple-Minima Problem in Global Optimization'

Skolnick, J., Scripps Research Institute - USA
	`Design Principles of Globular Proteins'

Sussman, J.L., Weizmann Institute of Science - ISRAEL and Protein Data Bank, 
        Brookhaven National Laboratory - USA
	`AChE in 3D: New Mysteries Revealed from the Crystal Structure'

Vasquez, M., Protein Design Laboratory - USA
	`Monte Carlo Methods for Peptides and Protein Modeling'

Warshel, A., University of Southern California - USA
	`On the Relationship Between Folding Energy and Enzyme Catalysis'

Wodak, S., Universite Libre de Bruxelles - BELGIUM
	`The Role of Local Interactions in Protein Structure Prediction and Protein Folding'

Wuthrich, K., Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich - SWITZERLAND
        `NMR studies of the chaperone DnaJ(2-108): Implications for the action of the
         Hsp70 chaperone machine'

REGISTRATION FORM
     (You can submit your application via Email to:   [email-masked])
     Deadline for applications: March 15, 1996.

International Symposium on Theoretical and Experimental Aspects of Protein
Folding June 17 - 21, 1996 Universidad Nacional de San Luis, Argentina

Last Name						First Name
		
Agency/Institution

Street Address

City 			State			Zip/Postal Code		Country

Telephone			Fax				E-mail Address

	A limited number of fellowships will be available for young participants from Latin 
American countries to cover lodging and meals at the International Hotel Potrero de Los Funes 
during the Symposium.
				   
	Request of Fellowship : Yes / No . If affirmative, please submit also a detailed 
Curriculum Vitae (in  English).