Subject: CCL:electrostatic cutoffs in lipid bilayers

From: [email-masked] (Howard Alper)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 18:22:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

  Yat-Ting Wong writes

> Dear Colleagues,
> 
> I have the following questions.  
> 
> In the past, the electrostatic cutoffs in protein modelling are about 8 
> to 10 Angstrom.  However, in the lipid bilayers, in order to reproduce 
> the experimental results, the cutoffs have to be increased to 30 A.  Would 
> you refer me to the correct references concerning the simulation of lipid
> bilayers with long electrostatic cutoff ?  Are there any molecular modeling 
> that requires a cutoff greater than 30 Angstrom ?
> 
> Thanks.
> 
> 
> 
> Regards,
> 
> Yat-Ting Wong
> 

  The articles referred to, concerning the use of 30 angstrom cutoffs in
simulations of lipid bilayer systems, are as follows:

1) H. E. Alper, D. Bassolino, and T. R. Stouch, J. Chem. Phys. 98 (12),
   9798 (1993)

2) H. E. Alper, D. Bassolino, and T. R. Stouch, J. Chem. Phys. 99 (7),
   5547 (1993)

   Anyone interested in reprints of these, or other articles dealing with
diffusion of solutes through lipid bilayers, can send me their address
information.

  Howard Alper

-- 

  Dr. Howard Alper
  Moldyn Inc.
  1033 Massachusetts Avenue
  Cambridge, MA 02138
  617-354-3124 x19

- helping molecules find happiness for over a 10th of a century.