Subject: gaussian & windows95 (summary)

From: Mario Tulio Rosado <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 16:30:03 +0100 (LISBOA)

Dear CCL,

Here goes the summary of the answers i got to the following request
that i posted before xmas:

>I have been working with Gaussian 92 for Windows / DFT under Windows 3.1
>We now upgraded our system to Windows 95. Gaussian fails to run jobs
>(aborting allways at link 101 (L101.EXE) ) and returns an error message
>refering to OS error code 15.
>
>My question is:
>
>Is thhere a way to overcome this, or it is impossible to run Gaussian
>under windows95?
>Help would be apreciated. Thanks in advance.
>Answers will be summarized.
>
>					Mario Tulio Rosado
>					Dept of Chemistry of the 
>					Faculty of Science of the
>					University of Lisbon
>					PORTUGAL
>

----------------------------ANSWERS-------------------------------------------------

>I do not know about Gaussian, but it appears that our own software will
>not run properly under Windows 95 unless the "Regional Settings" are set
>to "English (United States)".  We do not know why; there is some problem
>involving a failure to recognise text strings that are sent through the
>Dynamic Data Exchange, or even just read from text files -- even though
>the software and the data files are not changed.  You might try changing
>your settings to "English (United States)" to see if that helps.
>
>The problem appears to be quite specific.  "English (Canadian)" does not
>let the software work; I do not know what Microsoft thinks is the difference
>between Canadian and U.S. English, and I am not sure that I want to know.
>"English (British)", "English (Irish)", "Spanish (Modern sort)", and the
>"Standard" versions of German, Dutch, and French also fail.  It was at
>this point that I stopped looking.
>
>Joel
> 
>------------
>Joel Polowin, Ph.D.   Manager, Scientific Support
>Email to: [email-masked] 
>
>Hypercube Inc, 419 Phillip St, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3X2 (519)725-4040
>Info requests to: [email-masked]    Support questions to: [email-masked]
>Email group: Send "subscribe hyperchem" to [email-masked]
>WWW: http://www.hyper.com/
>

______________________________________________________________________

>Dear Mario:
>
>We had confirmed this here in our department, both by checking with the 
>Gaussian personnel (who told us G92 / Win would not run under Win95) and 
>by experience, when someone from another group reported the same problem 
>you did.
>
>The support at Gaussian said it would be necessary to upgrade.
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>Regards,
>
>Michael
>
>________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Michael D. Bartberger         [email-masked]        TEL: (352) 392-3580
> Department of Chemistry       [email-masked]         FAX: (352) 846-0296
> University of Florida
> Gainesville, FL  32611
> USA
>________________________________________________________________________________

______----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mario Tulio Rosado,

It is impossible to run g92w from win95. I had the same problem.
The solution is: start win 3.1 from win95 and start g92w from win 3.1.
It is working, although this is not a confortable solution.

Gabor

-- 

Gabor I. Csonka                 Budapest University of Technology
FAX: (361) 463.36.42            Inorganic Chemistry Dept. Ch. Bldg
[email-masked]           H-1111, Bp. Szent Gellert ter 4
http://web.inc.bme.hu/~csonka/csg.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do not know about Gaussian, but it appears that our own software will
not run properly under Windows 95 unless the "Regional Settings" are set
to "English (United States)".  We do not know why; there is some problem
involving a failure to recognise text strings that are sent through the
Dynamic Data Exchange, or even just read from text files -- even though
the software and the data files are not changed.  You might try changing
your settings to "English (United States)" to see if that helps.

The problem appears to be quite specific.  "English (Canadian)" does not
let the software work; I do not know what Microsoft thinks is the difference
between Canadian and U.S. English, and I am not sure that I want to know.
"English (British)", "English (Irish)", "Spanish (Modern sort)", and the
"Standard" versions of German, Dutch, and French also fail.  It was at
this point that I stopped looking.

Joel
 
------------
Joel Polowin, Ph.D.   Manager, Scientific Support
Email to: [email-masked] 

Hypercube Inc, 419 Phillip St, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3X2 (519)725-4040
Info requests to: [email-masked]    Support questions to: [email-masked]
Email group: Send "subscribe hyperchem" to [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.hyper.com/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

  I saw your post to the CCL about using G92W under Windows 95.  I am 
sorry but it is not possible.  With G94W we were able to make it work
but it requires changes which cannot be adapted to G92W.

  We have a trade-in price for users of G92W, $450.00, to upgrade to G94W
which is shipping now.

  Douglas J. Fox
  Director of Technical Support
  [email-masked]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------END OF ANSWERS--------------------------------

THANKS TO EVERYBODY THAT ANSWERED

					Mario Tulio Rosado