Subject: Structural Biology Symposium

From: [email-masked] (Bruce A. Luxon)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 19:01:46 -0600

STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY SYMPOSIUM
      UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH AT GALVESTON
                      MARCH 1-3, 1996

Dear Colleague:

        As we announce the establishment of the Structural Biology Program
at the University of Texas Medical Branch, we would like to invite you and
your colleagues to join us in our inaugural celebration by participating in
our Structural Biology Symposium scheduled for March 1-3, 1996.  This
meeting will bring together scientists who are interested in applying
insights from structural biology and solution thermodynamics to solve
biological and biomedical problems. The speakers at the symposium are
distinguished researchers from a wide spectrum of scientififc disciplines.

        If you are planning to attend the Symposium, please inform us of your
coming as well as who may be accompanying you by no later than  February
20th. Furthermore, if you intend to participate in the poster session, or
wish to present a talk in the satellite Sunday afternoon NMR Workshop
offered in collaboration with Varian Instruments, all abstracts must be
received no later than February 20th as well.

        Regarding accomodations for the event, a block of rooms has been
reserved for Symposium attendants at the beachfront Hotel Galvez.  However,
prior to your arrival in Galveston it is necessary that you fill out the
hotel form provided below to guarantee a reserved room.

        Although there is no registration fee, $50 will be assessed for
those who wish to optionally participate in the Friday reception, Saturday
lunch and dinner banquet, and Sunday brunch. Please make all payments made
out to UTMB.  In addition, checks will be the only form of payment
accepted.

Send all inquiries and responses  to:

Jacqueline Luxon; Administrative Secretary
ADDRESS:  Sealy Center for Structural Biology
Dept. for Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX.  77555-1157
PHONE: (409)747-6800
FAX:  (409)747-6850
EMAIL:  [email-masked]

        Thank you, and we look forward to your participation in the Symposium.

UTMB Symposium Organizing Committee:

D. Wayne Bolen
Werner Braun
Wlodzimierz M. Bujalowski
Edmund W. Czerwinski
Robert Fox
David G. Gorenstein
James C. Lee
Bruce A. Luxon
Jan F. Post
Stanley Watowich

----------------------------------------------------------------------
               Symposium Information and Registration

Information and the registration and hotel forms may also be found on the
Sealy Center for Structural Biology server- URL http://www.scsb.utmb.edu:90/

You may also e-mail or print the registration and hotel forms below and
send them to Jacqueline Luxon at the above address.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS, HOTEL  AND REGISTRATION FORMS

DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS: FEBRUARY 20, 1996
---------------------------------------------------------------------

PRELIMINARY SCHEDULE
_______________________________________________________________________________
FRIDAY, MARCH 1, 1996
_______________________________________________________________________________

3:00 P.M. - 4.00 P.M.     Registration                              Levin Hall

4:00 P.M.                 Opening Remarks                           Levin Hall
                          President Thomas James - UTMB

4:15 P.M.                 Plenary Lecture                           Levin Hall
                          Frederic Richards - Yale
                          "The Structure of Proteins -
                           Change in Dogma with Time"

6:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.     Reception                                 Hotel Galvez

________________________________________________________________________________
SATURDAY, MARCH 2, 1996
________________________________________________________________________________
9:00 A.M. - 9:50 A.M.     Angela Gronenborn - NIH                   Levin Hall
                          "Structure of Protein-DNA COmplexes:
                                 Intercalation, DNA
                          Bending and Transcriptional Control"

9:50 A.M. - 10:40 A.M.    Donald Wiley - Harvard                    Levin Hall
                          "Structural Biology of
                           Cellular Immunity"

10:40 A.M. - 11:10 A.M.   Break & Posters                           Levin Hall

11:10 A.M. - 12:00 noon   Robert L. Baldwin - Stanford              Levin Hall
                          "The Molten Globule Intermediate
                                  of an Apomyoglobin"
12:00 noon - 12:30 P.M.   Werner Braun - UTMB                       Levin Hall
                          "Self-Correcting Distance Geometry:
                           A New Method for Protein Modeling
                                and NMR Determination"

12:30 P.M. - 2:00 P.M.   Lunch and visit to the NMR Center         Dockside Blg.

2:00 P.M. - 2:50 P.M.    Florante Quiocho - Baylor                  Levin Hall
                         "Molecular Recognition by Proteins:
                          From the Stringent to the very Loose"

2:50 P.M. - 3:40 P.M.    Thomas James - University of               Levin Hall
                         California - San Francisco
                         "Nucleic Acid Structure and Dynamics"

3:40 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.    Break

4:00 P.M. - 4:50 P.M.    Gary Ackers - Washington U.                Levin Hall
                         "The Intermediates of Hemoglobin
                          Cooperativity Provide Striking New
                          Insights into Allostery"

4:50 P.M. - 5:20 P.M.    Robert Fox - UTMB                          Levin Hall
                         "SH3 Domain Peptide Recognition"

5:20 P.M. - 6:30 P.M.    Poster and Reception                       Levin Hall

7:30 P.M.                Banquet                                    Hotel Galvez

________________________________________________________________________________
SUNDAY, MARCH 3, 1996
________________________________________________________________________________

10:00 A.M. - 12:00 noon  Discussion - Brunch                       Dockside Blg.

                         "Future Directions of Strctural Biology"
                         ALL SPEAKERS WILL SERVE AS PANEL MEMBERS

12:00 noon - 1:00 P.M.   Break

                         NMR Techniques Workshop                   Dockside Blg.
                         (In Cooperation with Varian Instruments)

1:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M.    George Gray - Varian Instruments          Dockside Blg.
                         "Recent Advances in NMR Technology
                               for Biomolecular NMR"

2:00 P.M. - 2:30 P.M.    Shanmin Zhang - UTMB                      Dockside Blg.
                         "Suppression of Radiation Damping
                               During Acquisition"

2:30 P.M. - 4:00 P.M.    Additional short contributions            Dockside Blg.

4:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M.    Applicaitons on Varian/Oxford 600         Dockside Blg.
                         and 750 Unity Plus and Varian/HARC
                         400 MHz Unity PLus systems with George
                         Gray and NMR Center staff
----------------------------------------------------------------------
CLIMATE

The weather in Galveston, a resort island off the Texas coast near Houston,
in March is warm with average temperatures ranging from a low of 55 degrees
to a  high of 75 degrees.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION

Hotel space has been reserved at the Hotel Galvez, however, to insure
conference rates, arrangements must be made by February 8th:

                                        Rate: $65/Single, $85/Double
                                              $95/Triple & Quad,
                                              $175/Deluxe Suites
FOR RESERVATIONS CALL: 1-800-392-4285

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COSTS:

Payment of $50.00 total for optional receptions, lunches and dinners should
be made
to University of Texas Medical Branch by February 20th.  Please, payment by
checks only.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY SYMPOSIUM, UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS MEDICAL BRANCH AT GALVESTON
                             MARCH 1-3, 1996

REGISTRATION FORM

NAME:________________________________________________________________________

WORK ADDRESS:________________________________________________________________

INSTITUTION NAME:____________________________________________________________

INSTITUTION NAME:____________________________________________________________

CITY:__________________________________STATE:_____________ZIP CODE:__________

OFFICE PHONE:____________________FAX NUMBER:_________________________________

EMAIL ADDRESS:_______________________________________________________________

CHECK THOSE WHICH APPLY:

______Enclosed is my check for $50.00.

______I will be participating in the Symposium on: FRIDAY_________
                                                   SATURDAY_______
                                                   SUNDAY_________

______I will be participating in the poster session and have included a
      copy of my abstract.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
 HOTEL REGISTRATION FORM

NAME:________________________________________________________________________

WORK ADDRESS:________________________________________________________________

INSTITUTION NAME:____________________________________________________________

CITY:__________________________________STATE:_____________ZIP CODE:__________

OFFICE PHONE:____________________FAX NUMBER:_________________________________

EMAIL ADDRESS:_______________________________________________________________

ARRIVAL DATE:_____________________DEPARTURE DATE:____________________________

FOR ARRIVALS LATER THAN 6:00 P.M., A CREDIT CARD NUMBER IS NEEDED

CREDIT CARD (i.e. type)______________________________________________________

CREDIT CARD ACCT. #_______________________________________EXP. DATE__________

ACCOMMODATION DESIRED:

________SINGLE ACCOMMODATIONS $65.00/NIGHT

________DOUBLE ACCOMMODATIONS $85.00/NIGHT

________TRIPLE AND QUAD ACCOMODATIONS $95.00/NIGHT

________DELUXE SUITES  $175.00/NIGHT

PLEASE NOTE:  TO INSURE CONFERENCE RATES, RESERVATIONS MUST BE MADE NO
LATER THAN 2/8/96
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please complete and return the conference registration form and/or hotel
registration form, together with your payment, to:

Jacqueline Luxon; Administrative Secretary
ADDRESS:  Sealy Center for Structural Biology
Dept. for Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX.  77555-1157
PHONE: (409)747-6800
FAX:  (409)747-6850
EMAIL:  [email-masked]

-----------------------------------------------

David Gorenstein
Director, Sealy Center for Structural Biology
Professor, Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry and Genetics
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-1157

Office: (409) 747 6801
Main Office/Voice Mail: (409) 747 6800
Fax: (409) 747 6850

E-MAIL ADDRESS: [email-masked]
http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/

*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
*  Bruce A. Luxon, Ph.D                                                    *
*  Assistant Professor                                                     *
*  Sealy Center for Structural Biology                                     U
*  Dept. of Human Biological Chemistry & Genetics                          T
*  University of Texas Medical Branch                                      M
*  Galveston, TX   77555-1157                                              B
*                                                                          *
*  (409)747-6802; Fax (409)747-6850                                        *
*  [email-masked]                             http://www.nmr.utmb.edu/ *
*=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*