Subject: Second Swiss Course on Medicinal Chemistry

From: Didier Rognan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 13:13:59 GMT

Second Swiss Course on Medicinal Chemistry
6-11 October 1996, Leysin, Switzerland

organized by

the Section of Medicinal Chemistry of the
New Swiss Chemical Society

SCOPE OF THE COURSE
The course on medicinal chemistry offers to young scientists with a few
years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry and interested Ph.D.
students a broad overview of disciplines involved in modern preclinical drug
research. The development of integrative abilities is a prerequisite to
function in todays multidisciplinary drug discovery teams. The course is set
up for synthetic organic chemists, as well as biologists and pharmacologists
and those involved in drug design and the physicochemical characterization
of biologically active compounds. Active participation by the participants
in tutorials and the presentation of three case histories are important
parts of the course.

PROGRAMME AND LECTURERS	
What is medicinal chemistry?	Prof. B. Testa (Uni. Lausanne, CH)
	
Molecular & Cell Biology	
What are the targets for the medicinal chemist	Dr. W. Schilling (Ciba, Basle
- CH)
Introduction to molecular biology 	Prof. T.H. Schwartz (Uni. Copenhagen, DK)
Integration of molecular biology with medicinal chemistry	 Prof. T.H.
Schwartz (Uni. Copenhagen, DK)
Introduction to molecular immunology	Dr. J.-Y. Bonnefoy (Glaxo, Geneva - CH)
	
Lead  Finding & Development	
Lead discovery	Dr. M. Sills (Ciba, Summit - USA)
Introduction to combinatorial chemistry	Dr. E. Feder (Ciba, Basle- CH)
Developing a lead	Dr. D. Roberts (Zeneca, Macclesfield - UK)
Patents and regulatory apects	Dr. R. Ross (Sandoz, Basle - CH)
	
Pharmacodynamics	
Principles of pharmacological assays	Prof. H. Möhler (Uni. Zürich, CH)
Ion channels as drug targets	Prof. U. Quast (Uni. Tübingen, D)
	
Phamacokinetics, Toxicology & Drug Delivery	
Introduction to pharmacokinetics	Prof. H. Spahn-Langguth (Uni. Halle, D)
Introduction to drug metabolism	Prof. B. Testa (Uni. Lausanne, CH)
Introduction to molecular toxicoloy	Prof. N.P.E. Vermeulen (Uni. Leiden, NL) 
Formulation and drug delivery	Prof. D. Crommelin (Uni. Utrecht, NL)
	
Molecular Design & Lead Optimization	
Physicochemical concepts and drug absorption	Dr. H. van de Waterbeemd
(Roche, Basle - CH)
Molecular modeling	Prof. G. Folkers (ETH Zürich, CH)
Computer-assisted lead optimization	Prof. H. Kubinyi (BASF, Ludwigshafen - D)
	
Case Histories	
Development of aromatase inhibitors	Prof. A. Bhatnagar (Ciba, Basle - CH)
The story of LESCOL	Dr. F. Kathawala (Sandoz, East Hanover - USA)
Development of INVIRASE	Dr. J. Lawton (Roche, Welwyn - UK)

ORGANIZATION

Prof. Gerd Folkers (ETHZ, chairman), Dr. H. van de Waterbeemd (Roche,
vice-chairman) 
Dr. W. Froestl (Ciba), Dr. R. Jakob-Roetne (Roche), Dr. D. Rognan (ETHZ),
Prof. B. Testa (Uni. Lausanne), Dr. R. Wenger (Sandoz)
WORLD WIDE WEB
A description of the course including programme, location, accomodation
facilities and registration form can be found at the following URL:
http://www.pharma.ethz.ch/leysin

PRACTICAL INFORMATIONS

Location
The course will be held at the Classic Hotel in Leysin, Switzerland. In the
heart of the “Alpes Vaudoises“ and within easy reach of the towns of the
Lake Geneva Region, Leysin is the perfect answer to the wishes and
expectations of all those who love nature, winter and summer sports, walks,
good food, the opportunity to meet interesting people, relaxation.

Hotel
The Classic is the largest hotel in Leysin, within the spirit of the resort.
It offers a large array of single and double rooms, bars, restaurants,
terrace, auditorium/cinema, gastronomic events.

Registration fees	
The individual fee of Sfr 2500,- includes hotel accomodation with breakfast,
course documentation, coffee breaks, lunches and dinner. Students pay a
special price of only SFr 250,-  (please include justification to your
registration)

Registration
The registration form should be returned before the end of April 1996. The
course is limited to about 60 participants. Confirmation and payment
instructions will be sent to all accepted participants. Late registrations
after May 1st 1996 will require 10% additional fee.	
	
Arrival	
Sunday October 11, 1996 in the afternoon. Welcome drink at 6 p.m.

Language
The official language of the course is English.	
	
". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . 
REGISTRATION FORM

Second Swiss Course on Medicinal Chemistry (6-11 October 1996, Leysin,
Switzerland)

Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . .  
Organization . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . .
Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . 
Zip Code . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 .	City . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . .
Country . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . .
Present function . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . 
Tel: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 	Fax: . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . . . . . 	E-mail: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . .
Signature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . .	Date . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 . . . . . .

Please return this form to: 
Prof. Gerd Folkers, Dpt. of Pharmacy - ETH Wintherturerstrasse 190- CH-8057
Zürich, Switzerland
Tel. +41.1.257 60 60, Fax: +41.1.262 15 80, E-mail: [email-masked]

Payments should be made to:
Bankaccount 0061-867802-80-1 of Crédit Suisse  Claraplatz, CH-4005 Basel,
Switzerland. (Ref: Swiss Med Chem)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Didier Rognan
Department of Pharmacy - ETH
Winterthurerstr.190, Room I17M50
CH-8057 Zuerich

phone:+41.1.257 60 63
fax:  +41.1.262 15 80
email: [email-masked]
www:  http://www.pharma.ethz.ch/~didier
-----------------------------------------------------------