Subject: summary of left-handed helix

From: lzw <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:01:54 -0500 (EST)

Dear CCLers, I have posted a questions on left-handed helix and got 2 
answers. Many thanks to Abby Parrill and Frank Eisenmenger for their 
answers. 

My question is 

hi, dear netter,
I met a problem on left-handed helix structure in proteins. I hope to 
know if there any sequence can form left-handed helix. If there are, I 
need the sequences. I will summary the results and post it. Thanks in 
advance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zhaowen,

  Did you try searching the PDB for left-handed helices?  I found some 
this way, unfortunately I do not know what the PDB entry numbers were.  
Good luck.

__________________________________________________________
                                              
                      Abby Parrill
                  Chemistry Department
      Artificial Intelligence in Chemistry Laboratory                         
                The University of Arizona                    
             [email-masked]              
                                           
__________________________________________________________

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

if you consider stretches with phi around +60 as "left-handed helices" than
I suggest to search the outputs of Kabsch & Sander's DSSP program (available
in Sander group's section of the http://www.embl-heidelberg.de): look for
H or G assignments and select those with positive phi. There is another
much more abundant type of left-handed backbone structure which might be of
interest for you: see Adzhubei & Sternberg, J. Mol. Biol. 229,472-493,1993.

Cheers,

Frank Eisenmenger
 
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Institute of Biochemistry                                              |
| Medical Faculty of the Humboldt University (Charite)                   |
|                                                                        |
| Hessische Str. 3-4                                                     |
| 10115 Berlin, Germany                                                  |
|                                                                        |
| Phone: +49-30-28468-612 or -239       FAX: +49-30-28468-600            |
| E-mail: [email-masked]                                    |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Zhaowen Luo
----------------------------
Voice: (215)922-8754 (Night)  (215)955-4567 (Day)
FAX:   (215)923-2117          URL: http://www.jci.tju.edu/~zluo