Subject: Request to post Chromatography Short Courses

From: "posting" <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Feb 1996 10:05:57 -0500

Dear list owner or administrator:

We believe that you will find the following information of interest to your
subscribers and are offering it for your consideration.  If you decide to post
it to your listserv, we would appreciate your including our address in the
posting ([email-masked]). It is our goal to provide useful information to
interested individuals.  Please let us know if you plan to post it to your
listserv, and we will make sure you receive information on similar postings in
the future.

If you have any suggestions or comments about how we can best meet the needs
of your group, or if you would like us to remove your group from future
postings, we welcome your input.

Thank You.

Penn State Continuing and Distance Education

POSTING:

Expand Your Knowledge of Biotechnology at Penn State
Biotechnology and Bioprocessing
Short Courses 1996
Frear Laboratory and the Bioprocessing Pilot Plant 
University Park Campus 
State College, Pennsylvania. 

a continuing and distance education service of the Eberly College of Science

Visit our Website: 
http://www.cde.psu.edu/Biotechnology/

Purpose
Whether you are new to the field of biotechnology or an experienced scientist
who wishes to expand your knowledge and skills, Penn State's Biotechnology and
Bioprocessing Training Short Courses program will provide you with important
technical information, as well as new ideas and approaches to biotechnology
research and development.
Our courses stress hands-on laboratory experience, and small class sizes help
to enhance your learning and answer your questions. Informal discussions with
faculty and other participants on practical solutions and new approaches to
biotechnology and bioprocessing problems complement the laboratory activities.
 Participants will have the opportunity to see and use equipment in the
Bioprocessing Resource Center Pilot Plant. This facility is available for
process testing, validation, scale-up, and equipment demonstrations, and is
designed for experimentation in microbial fermentation, tissue culture, and
product separation and purification.

The Biotechnology and Bioprocessing Training Short Courses program gratefully
acknowledges the support of the following Penn State entities: Eberly College
of Science, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Department of
Chemical Engineering, Department of Food Science, Department of Veterinary
Science, Bioprocessing Resource Center, and Biotechnology Institute
facilities.

Key Features
-	An emphasis on hands-on laboratory sessions
-	Limited enrollments with an informal and individualized learning environment
-	Course notes and lab protocols organized and bound for future reference
-	Curriculum and speakers carefully selected to emphasize practical approaches
-	New facility designed for professional courses and training
-	Pilot plant scale equipment demonstrations
-	Continuing Education Units (CEUs) provided and based on a standard of 1 unit
per 10 hours of classroom contact

Polymerase Chain Reaction Technology
March 5-8, 1996
Polymerase Chain Reaction Technology (PCR) is a short course designed for
researchers with little or no knowledge of PCR and for those who wish to
expand their skills in this powerful, relatively new technology.  It is
especially useful for industry professionals who want to utilize recombinant
DNA and modern molecular biology methods in their process design, as PCR is a
very sensitive, fast and cost-effective technology. Knowledgeable Penn State
faculty and our professional hands-on training team, along with
representatives from Perkin Elmer, will provide participants with daily
presentations and laboratory exercises that will cover some of the important
applications of PCR in specific areas of research and development.

Fermentation Methods and Scale-up Strategies
March 19-22, 1996
June 11-14, 1996
October 8-11, 1996

Fermentation Methods and Scale-up Strategies provides in-depth knowledge of
the processes and latest technologies used in laboratory and pilot-scale
microbial fermentation. Hands-on experiments with various fermentors introduce
principles of fermentation operations and new approaches to biotechnology
research and development.

Scale-up Strategies for Animal Cell Culture
April 23-26, 1996
September 17-20, 1996 

Scale-up Strategies for Animal Cell Culture provides experience with such
bioreactor systems as stirred-tank, hollow fiber, and microcarrier.  Presents
hands-on experience with bench- and pilot-scale bioreactors for culture of
anchorage-dependent and suspension cells and how to scale up from T-flasks to
reactors.

Mammalian Cell Culture Methods
May 21-24, 1996
November 5-8, 1996

Mammalian Cell Culture Methods is designed to develop and improve
participants' skills in culturing mammalian cells, emphasizing laboratory work
and including modern techniques used with mammalian cell cultures. Lectures
provide background material to facilitate the understanding of principles,
techniques, and applications of mammalian cell culture, while laboratory work
includes practical experience with the latest methods, equipment, and
instrumentation.

Separation and Purification Strategies for Biotechnology Products;
June 25-28, 1996
October 1-4, 1996

Separation and Purification Strategies for Biotechnology Products helps
participants understand and develop strategies for separating and purifying
proteins, recombinant DNA products, and monoclonal antibodies. The course
features laboratory demonstrations of cell disruption, centrifugation,
microfiltration, ultrafiltration, process chromatography techniques, and
capillary electrophoresis. Using state-of-the-art equipment, the experiments
help participants to integrate theory with practice and to understand
practical operations and issues of separating and purifying biotechnology
products.

Monoclonal Antibody Production and Purification
August 13-16, 1996

Monoclonal Antibody Production and Purification is a four-day practical
training course which has been specifically designed for R&D scientists
interested in the techniques used in process scale production and purification
of monoclonal antibodies. The course is also suitable for those scientists
wishing to update their knowledge and practical skills in chromatographic unit
operations.  For the production sessions, participants will become familiar
with animal immunization, blood collection, cell fusion, screening protocols,
as well as scale-up strategies for hybridoma production.

Monoclonal IgG from a hybridoma cell culture supernatant will be used as the
source material for the purification sessions.  During the practical sessions
participants will also learn how to scale up the methodology that they have
developed and how to automate the total process.  At each stage the purity
level of the monoclonal IgG will be checked using automated electrophoretic
development and staining techniques.  Yields of the IgG will also be
calculated.  All relevant theoretical aspects will be covered in lectures and
discussion sessions.

Chromatographic procedures will all be carried out on fully automated
BioPilot chromatography systems using affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic
interaction, and gel filtration techniques.

Information or Registration
To receive brochure with registration materials or to register by phone using
your VISA or MasterCard, call 1-800-PSU-TODAY (1-800-778-8632), or send us an
e-mail with your name, address, phone number, fax number, and Internet address
to  [email-masked] --Please be sure to reference Hands-on
Biotechnology Training and the specific course(s) in which you are interested
in all correspondence.

About Content
Short course content or other biotechnology and bioprocessing 
training programs
Dr. Kamal Rashid, program director
or Ms. Stephanie Smith, program assistant
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Eberly College of Science
The Pennsylvania State University
203 South Frear Laboratory
University Park  PA  16802-6005
phone (814) 863#031#-1918 or 863-5487
fax (814) 863-7024

About registration
Ms. Barbara Impellitteri, conference planner
Conferences and Institutes
The Pennsylvania State University
Edward Building
University Park  PA  16801-2765
phone (814) 863-1738
fax (814) 865-3749