Subject: ECHET96

From: [email-masked] (Rzepa, Henry)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 1996 19:25:08 GMT

ECHET96: Electronic Conference on Heterocyclic Chemistry.

An Electronic conference for discussing Heterocyclic
Chemistry  will be held from 24 June - 22 July 1996,
Both the World-Wide Web and electronic mail will serve as
delivery mechanisms. The meeting is a joint collaboration
between the International Society for Heterocyclic
Chemistry and the Royal Society of Chemistry Perkin
Division Heterocyclic Group.  The latter two groups
normally organize an international conference every
two years.  In 1996, it was decided to sponsor an
electronic conference in the alternate year between
face-to-face meetings, following the success of the ECTOC
(Electronic Trends in Organic Chemistry) conference last June.

We suspect you will find this format both chemically compelling
and surprisingly easy to use. Perhaps, collaborations that
result from participating in ECHET96 can be followed
up at the face-to-face 1997 meeting!

With the exception that reported work is expected to have some
relationship to heterocyclic chemistry, no limitations are placed
on the scientific content of accepted papers.  For example, we anticipate
contributions from synthesis, combinatorial and medicinal chemistries,
organometallics, spectroscopy, structure elucidation,
computational chemistry and combinations of these topics.

In a continuation of the ECTOC spirit, a "best-poster" prize
will be awarded.  Please encourage graduate students and all
co-workers to contribute to this conference in order to make
it a success we can build on.

Keynote Plenary Contributions will include work from the
following Research Groups:

1.  Clayton Heathcock (Berkeley)
2.  Philip Magnus     (Texas at Austin)
3.  Ken Houk          (UCLA)
4.  Victor Snieckus   (Guelph-Waterloo)
5.  Hisashi Yamamoto  (Tohoku)
6.  Eiichi Nakamura   (Tokyo)
7.  Daniel Comins     (North Carolina)
8.  Laurence Harwood  (Reading)
9.  Donald Craig      (Imperial College)
10. Reinhard Neier    (Neuchatel)
11. James Coxon       (Canterbury, NZ)

ECHET96 will continue the innovative
style introduced with ECTOC-1 in offering a low cost and
near-instant mechanism for discussing chemistry, with
features such as full color structure diagrams,
"clickable" or editable reaction schemes, rotatable 3D
molecular images, index searches of conference proceedings,
contributed discussions by participants, a conference
"molecular hyperglossary", up to date access statistics for
articles, photographs submitted by participants and
a prize for the "best poster".

We are inviting you to consider contributing an article or
poster to this event. The deadline for submitting an
abstract is April 26th. Further details can be obtained
using any of the following procedures;

1. Connecting to the following World-Wide Web location;

   http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/echet96/

We hope to have an American mirror up shortly

2. Sending an electronic mail message to
[email-masked] containing the single line (no
signatures please)

   info echet96

3. Subscribing to the electronic mail list by sending a
message to [email-masked] containing the single line
(no signatures please);

   subscribe echet96  your name

During the conference period of 24 June to 22 July 1966,
postings to this forum will primarily involve dialog around
the papers (Q's, A's, comments).  Outside the conference
period, we expect postings to be restricted to information
about the event only.

Discussion will be by e-mail (we find this works best
across a range of time zones) by posting messages to
[email-masked]

At the end of the conference, we anticipate a CD-ROM will be
produced that incorporates articles and posters, electronic discussions
around them and other useful materials.  (See, however, the ECHET96 home
page for information directed to authors who do  not choose to leave a
permanent record.)  The first CD of this type which captures the ECTOC
experience will be available shortly. Please connect to
http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/ for details on how to acquire
the disk.

We invite you to take part either as a presenter or a socractic
participant in this new and evolving format.  In either case, we
look forward to having you join us on this "off-year" Heterocyclic
Conference.

Henry Rzepa; Jim Snyder; Ray Jones, Chris Moody and Albert Padwa
Executive Committee of ECHET96

Dr Henry Rzepa,  Dept. Chemistry,  Imperial College,  LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked]; Tel  (44) 171 594 5774; Fax: (44) 171 594 5804.
URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/