Subject: CCL: --Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center 1996 Biomed Workshops

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 18:37:52 -0500 (EST)

**************************************************************************

                  PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                  BIOMEDICAL SUPERCOMPUTING INITIATIVE

Biomedical Workshops offered by the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
typically consist of theoretical lectures taught by
leaders in the respective scientific discipline,  and extensive hands-on
computer sessions. During the computer sessions, participants are able to work
on the examples provided or on their own experimental data.
Attendance is limited to 20 participants to allow one-on-one instruction
and encourage scientific interactions and discussions.
Application deadlines are six weeks prior to the workshop. Researchers
nationwide are invited to apply.
For additional information, please refer to
 	http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops.html
CONTACT INFORMATION: Nancy Blankenstein, Biomedical Program Assistant,
(412)268-4960, [email-masked]
TO APPLY FOR A WORKSHOP, please fill out the application form.

The following four workshops will be offered during 1996:

SUPERCOMPUTING TECHNIQUES FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS; May 5-9.
The purpose of this workshop is to introduce attendees to the
concepts of supercomputing.  The main goal is to provide researchers
with a firm basis from which to analyze their applications for implementation
in a supercomputing environment.  After a brief introduction to
PSC's supercomputing environment,
including the architectures of the CRAY C90 and T3E, various vector and
massively parallel programming models will be discussed.  Message passing,
performance monitoring, optimization techniques, and
heterogeneous supercomputing will be
introduced with emphasis on practical considerations.  Specific real-world
biomedical supercomputing applications will be presented to illustrate these
concepts.  Finally, a panel discussion will attempt to address researchers'
individual application questions.

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS; June 9-14.
Emphasis will be on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple
sequences. Topics to be discussed include
 Comparing and aligning sequences
 Identifying informative patterns in a set of sequences
 Using extracted informative patterns to identify related sequences.
Leaders are Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University;
Dr. Michael Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputing Center and
Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas, Jr., Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.

METHODS AND APPLICATIONS OF MOLECULAR MECHANICS AND DYNAMICS TO MOLECULES
OF BIOLOGICAL INTEREST; August 7-10.
Instructors include  Dr. David Case, the Scripps Research Institute,
Thomas Cheatham III, UCSF; Prof. Peter A. Kollman, UCSF, Dr. David A. Pearlman,
Vertex Pharmaceuticals; and Bill Ross, UCSF.
General aspects of molecular mechanics and dynamics theory and software
will be discussed. The program AMBER will be utilized extensively
in demonstrations.

ADVANCED NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS; Dates TBA;
subject to funding availability.
Open to researchers who have previously attended one of the PSC's
annual "Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis" workshops or who
have appreciable experience with computerized sequence analysis.  The
workshop will build on previous experience to teach techniques for
analyzing families and superfamilies of genes and proteins.

Please fill out the following application form.

APPLICATION FORM - Biomedical Workshop
Application Deadline: six weeks prior to each workshop.

		  PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                  BIOMEDICAL SUPERCOMPUTING INITIATIVE
                  WORKSHOP APPLICATION FORM

Workshop I am interested in attending:_____________________________________

Name:	       ________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ________________________________________________________________

Address:       ________________________________________________________________
	       (Business)
	       ________________________________________________________________

	       ________________________________________________________________
	       (Home)
	       ________________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ______________________________
	           (Business)				     (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______	Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_______________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary
arrangements you will need: ___________________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_________________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter.  The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, your current research, and
how participating in the workshop
will enhance this research.  Please include a brief statement describing your
level of experience with computers.  Faculty members, staff and post-docs
should provide a curriculum vitae.  Graduate students must have a letter
of recommendation from a faculty member.

Please return all application materials six weeks before the workshop
 you are applying for to:

  Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
      Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
      4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
      Pittsburgh, PA 15213

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.