Subject: Java in (Bio)Chemistry

From: "Gerald Loeffler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:11:53 +0100

Hi!

After becoming (a bit) familiar with Java (see http://java.sun.com), I wonder
what activities exist to use it for computational (bio)chemistry?!

Apart from being a great Programming Language in its own right, it seems to me
that Java (in cooperation with a WWW-browser like HotJava) should have enormous
impact on the whole issue of online chemical information (chemical MIME types,
hyperactive molecules, ...), because it is now possible to publish information
in any imaginable format - as long as you link a Java-Applet to the data that
can deal with the format.

Since Perl is used for biochemical problems as can be seen in the bioperl
activity, it would be surprising to me, if there weren't some users out there
who already exploit the rich features of Java for similar tasks!

	Eager to hearing from you,
	Gerald

--
Gerald Loeffler
PhD student in Theoretical Biochemistry

EMail: [email-masked]
Phone: +43 1 40480 612
Fax:   +43 1 4028525
SMail: University of Vienna
       Institute for Theoretical Chemistry
       Theoretical Biochemistry Group
       Waehringerstrasse 17/Parterre
       A-1090 Wien, Austria