Subject: SUMMARY:SGI Indigo2 Screen

From: "Oliver Hill" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:43:37 SAST-2

Dear CCLers

Thank you to everyone you responded to my query (original below), it 
seems we're not alone with our problem or our low budget!! Here is a 
summary for those interested. 

Original message:
Dear ccl'ers

We have a SGI Indigo2 which we use for modelling using BIOSYM's 
software. Our screen has recently died and we are looking at cheaper 
alternatives to what is normally supplied. Has anyone out there 
adapted a high res pc screen to be used on an Indigo2 (XL graphics) 
and what sort of performance does it give? How do you go about it?

Any help or info will be very much appreciated. I'll post a summary 
if anyone else is interested.

Oliver Hill
-----------------------------------------------
Responses:
Dear Dr. Hill:
       Yes, please do post a response if you get answers.  There are so 
many of us without the funds for a new system.
Sincerely,
Anita Zvaigzne
Welch Postdoctoral Fellow
University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth
-----------------------------------------------
Hi Oliver,

I am writing this on a Indigo-2 with a Nanao 21" monitor (F2-21).
SGI's "sync on green", and the required cabling (not necessarily the
unique solution) is a 13W3 to RGB (aka BNC) cable.  Plug the red,
green and blue cables into the back of the monitor, leave the sync
cable hanging, and it should work.  I just did this yesterday... so
far I am pleased with the monitor.

Joe
----------------------------------------
Dear Oliver,

we have no experiences with SGI but with other workstations: Sun and HP.
I tried to connect the monitor of my PC to them and the results were
lousy. HP has a special cable for the monitors such that all other
default BNC connections give wrong colours. This is similar for Sun. We
have ordered a couple of cables but none of them did a good job. 

BTW, the monitor is the part of the equipment the human has most contact with.
To save here is to save on the wrong place (mostly and ergonomically).

Best regards,
Thomas
-----------------------------------------
Dear netter

We are runing a indigo R4000 with a SONY 20" monitor that is avaible for all
personal computers (Mac, PC). It has a RGB plug behind just as the SGI's does.
In fact, I do think that most of the screens sold by them are SONY. I just want
to had that we are using the stereo glasses and that It works perfectly well.
In France, the lowest price I saw for it was 10 000 FF (~ 2000 US $).

Bye
________________________________________________________________________________

Jacques-Antoine DURET			GROUPE DE PHARMACOCHIMIE MOLECULAIRE
UFR DE PHARMACIE 			Universite Joseph Fourier GRENOBLE
5 Avenue de Verdun			Tel : (33) 76 04 10 00
38243 Meylan FRANCE			Fax ; (33) 76 41 85 71
		E-Mail : [email-masked]
________________________________________________________________________________
I had the same thing happen and am currently fighting with SGI over
repair/replacement.  Please let me know what you find out.
The screens on our older 4D/30Gs are still going fine, so I wonder if the
Indigo IIxl screens are 'lemons'.

Cheers,

Dave

Dr. David A. Winkler                            Voice: 61-3-542-2244
Principal Research Scientist                    Fax:   61-3-543-8160
CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers        CSIRO: http://www.csiro.au
Private Bag 10,Rosebank MDC, Clayton, Australia       http://www.chem.csiro.au
------------------------------------------
______________________________________________________________________
| Oliver Hill                        |                               |
| Department of Chemistry            | "The true scientist never     |
| University of Cape Town            |  loses the faculty of         |
| Rondebosch, 7700                   |  amazement. It is the essence |
| SOUTH AFRICA                       |  of his(her) being."          |
| [email-masked] (internet) |                 - HANS SELYE  |
|                                    |                               |
| Tel. +27-21-650-2527               |                               |
| Fax. +27-21-650-3788               |                               |
|____________________________________|_______________________________|
|  http://www.cem.uct.ac.za/PeopleInChemDept/grad/oliver-hill.html   |
|____________________________________________________________________|