Subject: MDL-Fiz Chemie Announcement

From: "David Mostardi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:00:04 -0800

CONTACT:  Barbara Ross
	      			          MDL Information Systems, Inc.
					  (510) 895-1313 ext. 1481

             MDL INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC. AND FIZ CHEMIE BERLIN
        JOIN FORCES TO PRODUCE NEW DATABASE FOR COMBINATORIAL CHEMISTRY

SAN LEANDRO, California February 26, 1996 MDL Information Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq
National Market System:  MDLI), the leading supplier of chemical information
management systems, and Fachinformationszentrum Chemie GmbH (FIZ CHEMIE Berlin)
today announced an agreement to jointly produce a new reaction database
covering solid-phase organic synthesis methodology.  Solid-phase synthesis is
playing a key role in the rapidly expanding area of combinatorial chemistry.
MDL and FIZ CHEMIE Berlin are developing the Solid-Phase Organic REactions
database (SPORE) in response to requests from scientists for information in
this area.

The first release of SPORE, scheduled for spring of 1996, will contain several
thousand reactions, covering the literature through 1995.  Quarterly updates
will be provided to keep the database current with advances in the area of
solid-phase organic synthesis. Sources of information will come principally
from the primary literature.  The database will contain datafields unique to
solid-phase organic synthesis and will also allow for simultaneous searching of
solution- and solid-phase reaction databases.

"FIZ CHEMIE Berlin is committed to providing high quality information to
research chemists,"  said Jost T. Bohlen, product manager at FIZ CHEMIE
Berlin.  "This new agreement extends our successful partnership with MDL in
producing reaction databases for the exciting and rapidly growing field of
solid-phase organic chemistry.  The joint resources of MDL and FIZ CHEMIE
Berlin will guarantee that SPORE will become another outstanding research
tool."

Doug Hounshell, vice president of database production products at MDL said,
"This database, along with its browsing application for use with ISIS, will be
a critical tool for research chemists in the design of combinatorial libraries,
and will also complement existing solution-phase reaction databases.  MDL is
excited to be producing this new research tool in conjunction with FIZ CHEMIE
Berlin."

About FIZ CHEMIE Berlin

Founded in 1981, FIZ CHEMIE Berlin is a major scientific information and
documentation center for chemistry.  Its work is the brokerage of scientific
and technical information concerning all areas of chemistry and related
sciences.  Its activities include the preparation of databases, software,
books and other printed information services such as abstracting journals,
periodicals, and special information services.

About MDL

Established in 1978, MDL Information Systems, Inc. is the leading commercial
supplier of chemical information management software, chemical information
databases, and related services to the pharmaceutical, agrochemical, and
chemical industries.  The Company's software and database products enable its
customers to discover and develop new products more rapidly by allowing
scientists to access and use scientific information more effectively.  MDL has
offices worldwide with headquarters in San Leandro, California.

                                  # # #

MDL is a registered trademark and ISIS and Solid-Phase Organic REactions are
trademarks of MDL Information Systems, Inc.  All other products are trademarks
or registered trademarks of their respective holders.