Subject: Yeast genome analysis on a SGI Supercomputer - demonstration

From: "Michael Schlenkrich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 1996 01:54:45 +0100

GeneCrunch: See genome analysis on a supercomputer as it happens.
Watch the analysis of  genome information live on the WWW, March 4-7,
1996.

In a joint demonstration project between Silicon Graphics and scientists
from the EMBL-Heidelberg/EMBL-EBI the GeneQuiz software system will
analyze more than 6000 protein sequences from the genome of yeast
(Saccharomyces cerevisiae) on a 64 processor SGI POWER CHALLENGEarray in
just a few days.

The project will  demonstrate  large-scale genome  sequence analysis on
an almost-complete set of yeast genes. The analysis will be repeated as
soon as the international collaborative effort of yeast researchers
releases to the public the complete genetic blueprint of yeast,
scheduled for later this year.

The results on the likely biological function of many new genes will be
of interest to biological researchers in both academia and industry. The
results will be published on two internet Web sites as the analysis
progresses, starting March 4th, 1996:

        http://genecrunch.sgi.com    http://genecrunch.sgi.ch

In addition to the biological results of the analysis, the sites will
also contain information describing the  supercomputing and web
technology used.

GeneQuiz is an automated system for large-scale genome sequence
analysis. It aims at adding value to biosequence information by
predicting the biological function of the corresponding genes. GeneQuiz
accesses up-to-date protein and DNA databases, derives information  by
sophisticated search and analysis methods, and interprets any findings
in terms of biological function using expert rules. It also predicts
three-dimensional structures of protein molecules when these can be
inferred by homology . The predicted functions are made available in
hyperlinked WWW tables and the predicted coordinates of 3D structures
in Protein Data Bank format. GeneQuiz is a collaborative effort between
the two EMBL institutes and former EMBL  scientists at CNB Madrid, MDC
Berlin, and SRI Meno Park.

The POWER CHALLENGEarray used for this project is located at the Silicon
Graphics European Supercomputing Technology Center in Cortaillod,
Switzerland. The POWER CHALLENGEarray consists of 4 POWER CHALLENGE
nodes each with 16 R8000 Processors linked together with the very fast
HIPPI interfaces.

Reinhard Schneider and Georg Casari
Biological Structures and Biocomputing program
EMBL-Heidelberg

Chris Sander
European Bioinformatics Institute
EMBL-EBI

-- 
********************** PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS*****************************

			Dr. Michael Schlenkrich

			European Chemistry Technology Center

Silicon Graphics SA				Phone:	(41) 061 - 716 67 67
Kaegenstrasse 17				Fax:	(41) 061 - 716 67 10	
CH-4153 Reinach					e-mail: [email-masked]
Switzerland					VM:	5-9461