Subject: Summary: WYSIWYG LaTeX for Mac?

From: "Juan Carlos Paniagua" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 17:36:14 +0100

Dear CCL readers,

Here is a summary of my recent posting regarding LaTeX for Mac. 

Thanks for those responding

Original posting:

> 	Does anybody know any WYSIWYG text editor for the Mac that 
> produces LaTeX code (something like wordperfect for the mac, that 
> allows viewing the codes in a separate window while you are writing)? 
> 	Expressionist generates LaTeX code, but it is not practical as 
> a text editor. 

Replies:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not sure how WYSIWYG it is for LaTeX since I use it as an HTML 
tag editor, but Alpha has been very useful to me.  It is available by 
anonymous ftp from cs.rice.edu/public/Alpha or from Kagi software.

From: Abby Parrill <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You might try "Alpha" editor. It functions like "emacs".
Try <http://http://www.cs.umd.edu/~keleher/alpha.html>

From: David Weng <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think such a thing exists.  The closest thing that I know of is
TeXtures, by Blue Sky Research <http://www.bluesky.com/>.  It recompiles
the TeX document as you type, which is in many ways faster and more
convenient than the usual edit-save-compile-view cycle that TeX requires.
Still, you have to enter the TeX codes yourself; I guess it's the equivalent 
of typing into the WordPerfect codes window and having the formatted document 
updated as you type (but not as fast).

The LaTeX codes for entering equations are pretty easy to learn and
provide a much faster way of entering equations than Expressionist
(which I also used for many years.)  That, and the fact that TeX
automatically numbers and cross-references your equations, tables,
footnotes, and sections for you, are the main things that make it
worthwhile in my opinion.  Otherwise, it's a pretty poor replacement
for a word processor; it's very painful to try to create a document
that doesn't closely follow one of the basic styles that are defined
for you.  

From: W. Thomas Pollard <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a commercial product called Textures, but I think it is
WYSIWYG TeX instead of LaTeX, but I'm not shure. I myself worked with TeX.

From: Blue Sky Research <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to use a package called Textures on the Mac that provided a nice
LaTeX implementation.  It was a commercial package.  I don't recall the
distributor, but perhaps you can find it on the Web.

From: John Woods <[email-masked]> or <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------