Subject: CCL: 2nd summary: WYSIWYG LaTeX for Mac?

From: "Juan Carlos Paniagua" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:43:19 +0100

Dear CCL readers,

I reproduce two interesting mails I received after sending my summary to the 
CCL. 

Thanks again.

Original posting:

> 	Does anybody know any WYSIWYG text editor for the Mac that 
> produces LaTeX code (something like wordperfect for the mac, that 
> allows viewing the codes in a separate window while you are writing)? 
> 	Expressionist generates LaTeX code, but it is not practical as 
> a text editor. 

Replies:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I noticed that people mentioned the text editor Alpha but did not mention
that Alpha alone is not enough to work with LaTex.  Along with Alpha you
need a program like OzTex which compiles the raw LaTex and turns it into a
 .dvi file and also allows you to display that .dvi output in a Mac window.
Alpha is set up to run OzTex (or any other LaTex compiler) from a menu
option so it's relatively easy to compile the document when you want and
makes Alpha feel like you're in a self-contained environment of sorts.
Alpha also has a lot of support for LaTex commands from within its menus.
Tom Pollard who responded to your message wrote pieces of that or maybe just
the part for BibTex - I forget.  Both Alpha and OzTex are shareware while
TexTures is commercial software, I believe.  Hope this helps.
 
From: Bryan Marten <[email-masked]>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think the most important one is missed in the summary.
One Mac implimentation of LaTeX is called OzteX, available from
ftp site "midway.uchicago.edu", in the pub/OzTeX/oztex directory.
There are 3 versions, with the oldest version being freeware and
newer versions shareware.
I have not used OzTeX but many people used and praised it very 
much in the c.s.mac.apps group.  If you search the hyperarchive
for latex, you'll find a readme file that can lead you to it.

From: Jie Yuan <[email-masked]> = www.uc.edu/~yuanj
------------------------------------------------------------------------------