Subject: Open Postdoctoral Position

From: [email-masked] (William Welsh)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 12:06:15 -0600

Dear Netters,

I have an immediate opening for a postdoctoral researcher in my laboratory.
Funding is available for three separate projects, and the applicant should
identify which of these projects is most appealing.  Project One deals with
molecular modeling of thermo-oxidative stability and solvent (water)
permeability associated with polymers (e.g., polyimides).  First-hand
knowledge of polymer modeling software (e.g., Insight/Discover or Cerius_2)
and applied quantum mechanics is highly recommended.  Project Two deals with
studies of the deposition and catalytic reaction of gases onto metal (Cu,
Ni, etc.) surfaces using both classical and quantum approaches.  Project
Three deals with de novo computer-aided design of chemotherapeutic
inhibitors using receptor mapping,  QSAR and 3D-QSAR approaches, neural nets
and genetic algorithms, and combinatorial libraries.  Projects One and Two
have the highest level of priority as the present time.

Funding for this position is budgeted for two years, although initial
appointment will be made for one year with renewal for the second year
pending (i) continuation of the grant for the second year by the funding
source and (ii) successful progress in the first year of work.  Salary is  >
$25,000 but is negotiable, and the position pays full fringe(e.g., medical)
benefits.  The applicant would be joining an active and aggressive reseach
team which already includes three postdocs, with excellent opportunities for
professional growth and for interactions with industrial collaborators (this
means good job prospects!)  The computational facilities and excellent (12
SGIs plus numerous other workstations and PCs with peripherals), and
available software includes Insight/Discover, Cerius_2, Macromodel, Spartan,
Semichem, Gaussian 9X, Sybyl (CoMFA), BrainMaker (for neural nets), and
Pirouette (for regression, etc.) plus assorted plotting, drawing, and word
processing programs.  Also, in July/August 1996 we will be moving  into a
large and modern computational-chemistry laboratory located in the newly
constructed Center for Molecular Electronics adjacent to the Chemistry Dept.

Please mail and/or email your full resume and/or CV including list of
publications and the names of three professional references to:

Prof. William J. Welsh
Dept. of Chemistry
University of Missouri-St. Louis
8001 Natural Bridge Rd.
St. Louis, MO 63121
Phone: 314-516-5318