Subject: MacGridzo program

From: Seiji Mori <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 96 09:55:17 JST

Dear netters,

 I am looking for MacGridzo program when I am reading Gronert, et al. JOC,
1995, 60, 6731.
It is contour generation program for Macintosh (?), Rockware Inc. Wheat
Ridge, CO. 
In this program, which are QM calculation packages avalable other than
PROAIM program?
Where can I get this information from? (WWW, email)

 Seiji Mori
##############################################################
   Seiji Mori
  Graduate student in Nakamura Laboratory
  (Lab. of Physical Organic Chemistry)
 Department of Chemistry
 The University of Tokyo
 Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyou-ku, Tokyo 113,
  JAPAN.
 email:[email-masked]
---
Now my homepage is under construction.
http://www.chem.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/personal/nakamuralab/smori.html
##############################################################

>From [email-masked] Tue Mar 19 04:30 EST 1996
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: pronunciation of conformer
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:30:12 +0100 (MEZ)
Content-Length: 2852
Status: R

Hello Fellow-CCL-ers,

   I feel the urge to add my $0.02 to the discussion on the pronunciation
of "conformer". Let me emphasize from the outset that I am German; English
was my second foreign language in school (after starting out with Latin and 
before continuing with ancient Greek - unfortunately, I do not remember much
of my Latin and Greek, but it still helps me sometimes...). 

So far, it seems to me that all of you have missed one vital point:

It is obviously correct that "conFORmer" (with or without capital "m") is
the everyday ( = non-chemical) pronunciation of "conformer" as someone who
conforms. In this sense, "conformer" is formed from its root "conform" (from
con-formare in Latin, as correctly pointed out already -- note that the
"m" belongs to the root!) in one of several possible ways to form nouns in
English, namely by adding the suffix "-er" (as in "think" -> "thinker" or
"wait" -> "waiter" etc.; we have almost the same mechanism in German).

BUT: For the chemical meaning of "conformer" this analysis is not valid!
As the analogy to "isomer" (and to all the other "-mer"'s in chemistry, like
"monomer", "polymer", etc.) shows, the suffix "-mer" clearly is an entity
with its own meaning since "iso-" (like "mono-", "poly-", etc.) merely is a 
simple prefix. The meaning of "-mer" can be found in English dictionaries
that give some etymological background; for example, my "Collins Concise
Dictionary" (English-English, not English-German) tells me this:
   "-mer": suffix forming nouns. <Chem> denoting a substance of a particular
           class: monomer, polymer (from Greek: "meros" = part)

Obviously, in forming the _chemical_ "conformer" from "con-form-" and "-mer"
it is convenient (and commonplace) to drop one of the "m"'s, although this
obscures the true origin and leads to confusion with the above analysis of
"con-form-er" (someone who conforms).

So much for the etymology. Since I am neither a native English speaker nor
an expert in English but merely a German theoretical chemist who happens to 
know some English, you native English speakers have to settle the question
of where to put the stress in "conformer" for yourself.

Incidentally, in German we would say "konFORmer" for someone who conforms --
if we had such a word. But all German chemists say "/con/-for-MER" (secondary
stress on first syllable, primary stress on the last; or "MOnoMER" with about
equal stress on the first and last syllables). I guess this clever way out
is not open for English chemists...

Bernd

-- 
Dr. Bernd Hartke                  e-mail: [email-masked]
Dep. of Theoretical Chemistry     http://www.theochem.uni-stuttgart.de/~hartke
University of Stuttgart           
Pfaffenwaldring 55                Phone: +49-711-685-4409
70569 Stuttgart                   FAX:   +49-711-685-4442
GERMANY

>From [email-masked] Tue Mar 19 11:50 EST 1996
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 96 12:07:18 -0500
From: [email-masked] (Joel Polowin)
To: [email-masked]
Subject: HyperChem Lite demo at ACS
Content-Length: 880
Status: R

I'd like to jump on the promotional bandwagon and extend a brief invitation 
to those of you who will be attending the ACS conference in New Orleans 
to stop by the Hypercube booth, #929, in the exhibitors' area.  We'll be 
showing off our new "HyperChem Lite" software package (and our new display 
booth).  People who place orders at the show will receive their choice of a 
free HyperChem T-shirt or golf shirt.  We'll have information and demo disks 
for HyperChem Lite at the show, and of course we can mail them on request.

Joel

------------
Joel Polowin, Ph.D.   Manager, Scientific Support
Email to: [email-masked] 

Hypercube Inc, 419 Phillip St, Waterloo, Ont, Canada N2L 3X2 (519)725-4040
Info requests to: [email-masked]    Support questions to: [email-masked]
Email group: Send "subscribe hyperchem" to [email-masked]
WWW: http://www.hyper.com/

>From [email-masked] Wed Mar 20 16:09 EST 1996
From: TOPPER ROBERT <[email-masked]>
Subject: WWW Molecular Monte Carlo Page
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 16:05:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Content-Length: 2157
Status: R

Dear colleagues,

On the eve of the ACS meeting, which will feature a special
session on Monte Carlo methods in the COMP division,
we wish to announce the opening of a new
World-Wide-Web resource for information on Monte Carlo
simulations, random walks, and their applications 
in molecular modeling. 

In the Molecular Monte Carlo home page, we plan to highlight 
the research efforts of those who have provided descriptions of
their research programs on the web by providing links to their 
sites. This will help to improve communication between the various
groups who are using these methods. We also provide pointers
to sites containing useful numerical tools for 
practitioners of stochastic methods, like random 
number generators, etc.. Finally, in the near future we 
hope to establish a series of hypertext tutorials on various 
stochastic methods, such as the Metropolis algorithm, 
brownian dynamics, GLE dynamics and other, related methods. 

Submissions to the page (including tutorials and graphics!) and comments
for additions and improvements may be directed to 
[email-masked]. We hope that this will be
a useful resource for beginners as well as for experts in the
field. The address of the page is

http://www.cooper.edu/engineering/chemechem/monte.html

Best regards to all,
Robert Topper

************************************************************************
Robert Q. Topper                       email:   [email-masked]
Department of Chemistry                phone:   (212) 353-4378
The Cooper Union                       FAX:     (212) 353-4341 
51 Astor Place                         subway:  take the 6 to Astor Place 
New York, NY 10003 USA                          or the N/R to 8th St/NYU
http://www.cooper.edu/engineering/chemechem/depts_info/topper.html
************************************************************************
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, founded in 
1859, is a private institution of higher learning where all students
receive full-tuition scholarships to study engineering, architecture and art. 
************************************************************************