Subject: CCL changes rules

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 09:13:07 -0500

Dear Netters,

Looking at the contents of communication in the last week or so,
and the angry letters in my mailbox, I made changes to the CCL rules.

The portions of CCL rules which were affected are given below.
Some will be sorry, and some will be happy, but it is a good occasion
to remind ourself what is suitable and what is not suitable on CCL.

The complete help file for CCL can be retrieved by sending a message
    help chemistry
to [email-masked]
or via our home page: http://www.ccl.net/chemistry.html

Jan Labanowski
Trying to cope...
[email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Topics which may appear on the list include:
 
 o Reporting bugs in chemistry software and possible work- arounds
 o New chemistry software announcements
 o Announcements of computational chemistry-related workshops
   and symposia
 o New methods and techniques in computational chemistry
 o Questions and answers about solving computational chemistry
   problems
 o Programs and utilities
 o Information on the availability of particular software, data, etc.
 o Hardware-related issues relevant to the computational chemistry
   community
 o Opinions about services and products

Topics which may not appear on this list include:
 
 o Personal attacks
 o Topics unrelated to computational chemistry
 o Announcements of "vaporware"
 o Commercial "Meet us at the booth" announcements
 o Announcements of job openings or CV's. (These are handled off
   line-- see Section 5 for more information).
 o Address inquiries, unless you have exhausted all other options.
   Before posting an address inquiry, you should try looking in the
   ACS Directory of Chemistry Departments in your library,
   searching the archives of CCL (especially the lists of addresses),
   using netfind, contacting CCL's list coordinator at
   [email-masked], contacting the Postmaster at the target machine,
   and tried everything suggested in this file on finding e-mail
   addresses.

---------------------------------------------------------------
4. Commercial Software Announcements
====================================

"Commercial software" is defined as any software that was sold to
anyone for more than the cost of handling and documentation. A
"commercial post" is defined as commercial software advertisements
posted by the people who develop or sell the software. Posts responding to
user questions, as well as bug reports, requests for comments, and tips on
efficient software use are not considered commercial postings and are
highly encouraged. Commercial software reviews or evaluations conducted
or posted by people not associated with the software vendor/developer
are also encouraged.
 
Those wishing to submit commercial posts to the list must abide by the
following rules. Short (25 lines or less) commercial postings are allowed.
They should include a straightforward subject line. Reposts are not
allowed unless new features/releases become available. Announcements
of "vaporware" (software that is not yet working or available), and
invitations to expositions and trade shows at meetings are not allowed.
 
You can submit commercial postings of any length to the list
administrators at [email-masked] which will
made available in the CCL software archives for downloading.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------