Subject: Q:How to install from a CDROM?

From: Ramon Garduno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 96 21:43:08 CST

Dear fellow netters:

May be this is not an appropiate place to put this question, but I figured
that many of you might have faced the same problem I am facing now. So, I
it won't hurt if I try to find the answer here (Jan,... please stop me if
I am wrong ).

I want to install a comercial software (BIOSYM) in my SGI INDY, but I do not
have a CDROM attached to it. Since we also have a SGI POWER CHALLENGE with
an internal CDROM unit, I figured that it could be a piece of cake to mount
the later on my INDY using the feature "NFS Mount Manager" in order to install
the software in this way. So I did, but I did not get the results I wanted.
HELP !!!!

This is what I did chronologically:

1) Added line /CDROM in the file /etc/exports on the POWER CHALLENGE.
2) Opened the feature NFS Mount Manager on INDY.
3) Chose host:/CDROM to be mounted on /CDROM (on INDY).
4) Introduced cdrom with software on hosts (POWER CHALLENGE). 
5) With instruction "df" I can see that host:/CDROM is mounted.
chicoce:/CDROM              nfs 3265974 2544695  721279  78%  /CDROM
6) Now I change directory to /CDROM (INDY) and list what is on it.
7) Wow!, the directory /CDROM is empty.
8) Scratch my head and wonder, Could CCL help me?.

Here is the catch 22. POWER CHALLENGE has IRIX 6.1, INDY has IRIX 5.2.
Could this be part of the problem?

Any hints to solve my problem will be appreciated.

PLEASE RESPOND DIRECTLY TO ME, IN ORDER TO SAVE BANDWIDTH !!

Cheers,

Ramon
--

____________________________________________________________________________
		  	 Dr. Ramon Garduno-Juarez
                     Research Professor in Biophysics
INSTITUTO DE FISICA                  |  EMAIL:  [email-masked]
UNIVERSIDAD NAL. AUTONOMA DE MEXICO  |          [email-masked]
Laboratorio de Cuernavaca            |  VOICE:	(73)175388
Apdo. Postal 48-3                    |          (73)111611
62251 Cuernavaca, Morelos            |  FAX:	(73)111603
MEXICO                               |		(73)173077
___________________________________ EOF _____________________________________