Subject: [Q] Optimal Spec for Molecular Modelling.

From: Chai Chong Chul <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 21:33:04 +0900 (KST)

To CCLers... 

In Our Lab, We want to buy new SGI machine. 

So, We contacted with SGI's Dealers in Korea. 

And they suggested new model with Mips R10k chips, Solid IMPACT

GraphicsCards, 128M RAM, and  4G Hard DISK. 

But, because we have extra money , We are considering to buy 

another machine, which is Mips R4400 chips, Solid IMPACT GRAPHICS 

Cards, 128M RAM, and 4G Hard DISK.

First of all, I wish to know how much will it cost in this spec.

Secondly, has anyone used R10k chips these days? and if there're 

any, was there any problem  using commercial software for 

 Molecular Modelling , for example QUANTA/MSI, INSIGHT/MSI, 

SPARTAN, Gaussian92, CERIUS2/MSI etc, and compiling C and 

Fortran codes.

Finally, we want to know how faster the machine with this spec

 is than old models .

Do you think this new model is worth enough in spite of its high

cost comparing with older ones?  

We are really eager to choose "PROPER SPECs" if it is possible.  

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________
 ___  ___
 | |  // A I S T   Chong Chul Chai(e-mail:[email-masked])
 | |-//  1 9 9 6   Department of Chemistry and Center for Molecular Science.
 | |-\\            Korea Adv. Inst. of Sci. & Tech., Tel: +82-042-869-2853.
 | |  \\           373-1, Kusungdong, Yusungku, Taejon, 305-701 Korea.
 ---  ---          alcohol in ara,csqueen,kids bbs
                   http://muse.kaist.ac.kr/~ccchai
============================================================================