Subject: [Q] Optimal Spec for Molecular Modelling.

From: Chai Chong Chul <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 16:46:22 +0900 (KST)

To CCLers... 
 In Our Lab, We want to buy new SGI machine. 
 So, We contacted with SGI's Dealers in Korea. 
 And they suggested new model with Mips R10k chips, Solid IMPACT
 GraphicsCards, 128M RAM, and  4G Hard DISK. 
 But, because we have extra money , We are considering to buy 
 another machine, which is Mips R4400 chips, Solid IMPACT GRAPHICS 
 Cards, 128M RAM, and 4G Hard DISK.
 First of all, I wish to know how much will it cost in this spec.
 Secondly, has anyone used R10k chips these days? and if there're 
 any, was there any problem  using commercial software for 
  Molecular Modelling , for example QUANTA/MSI, INSIGHT/MSI, 
 SPARTAN, Gaussian92, CERIUS2/MSI etc, and compiling C and 
 Fortran codes.
 Finally, we want to know how faster the machine with this spec
  is than old models .
 Do you think this new model is worth enough in spite of its high
 cost comparing with older ones?  
 We are really eager to choose "PROPER SPECs" if it is possible.  
Thanks a lot..!!!