Subject: SGI: THANK YOU ALL!

From: Ramon Garduno <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 96 20:25:55 CST

Dear CCLers,

   I am very grateful to those who answered to my question regarding 
   the installation of software different to that of sgi updates. Special
   thanks to Omar G. Stradella from sgi.com who provided the key for this
   to work.  I hope that enclosing the main answer will help others who 
   have a cdrom unit in one sgi machine and want to install third party
   software in another sgi machine that does not have a cdrom unit.

   1) Delete line containing "/CDROM" in both /etc/xtab and /etc/fstab in host
      with cdrom unit.
   2) Delete line containing "/CDROM/" in /etc/exports in host with cdrom unit.
   3) Insert cdrom with software in host with cdrom unit.
   4) Make sure that the CDROM is installed with "df; ls /CDROM". These 
      instructions will let you know if the cdrom unit is recognized.
   5) Now, that the CDROM is recognized, add a line with "/CDROM" in
      /etc/exports
   6) Execute "exportfs -a" in host with cdrom unit.
      DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE DCROM WITH MOUNT, this will screw up the
      procedure!!!
   7) In sgi machine without cdrom unit, mount hots:/CDROM into /CDROM via
      NFS mount manager.
   8) Umount /CDROM, and mount /CDROM as root in sgi machine without cdrom.
   9) Now "ls /CDROM", and you will be able to see the archives in the cdrom
      with software.
  10) Follow instructions to install software.

  Cheers,

P.S. For those concerned, I have no quarrel with BIOSYM/MSI or SGI Inc., my
question was simply technical.
    
--

____________________________________________________________________________
		  	 Dr. Ramon Garduno-Juarez
                     Research Professor in Biophysics
INSTITUTO DE FISICA                  |  EMAIL:  [email-masked]
UNIVERSIDAD NAL. AUTONOMA DE MEXICO  |          [email-masked]
Laboratorio de Cuernavaca            |  VOICE:	(73)175388
Apdo. Postal 48-3                    |          (73)111611
62251 Cuernavaca, Morelos            |  FAX:	(73)111603
MEXICO                               |		(73)173077
___________________________________ EOF _____________________________________