Subject: Re: CCL:[Q] Optimal Spec for Molecular Modelling.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 09:41:09 -0800 (PST)

And they suggested new model with Mips R10k chips, Solid IMPACT
	 GraphicsCards, 128M RAM, and  4G Hard DISK. 

unless you are using high-end graphics, the
solid impact may be overkill - I would ask
the providers of your graphics programs. E.g.
if most of what you look at is wire frame
models of molecules, fast texture mapping
(the solid impact feature) is wasted.

	 But, because we have extra money , We are considering to buy 
	 another machine, which is Mips R4400 chips, Solid IMPACT GRAPHICS 
	 Cards, 128M RAM, and 4G Hard DISK.

If you expect to do much scientific calculation
(as opposed to mainly graphics), the R4400 is
a waste compared to r10000. 

An r8000 is 1/2 the speed of a C90 processor for 
molecular mechanics, I expect an r4400/250MHz
would be about 1/2 the speed of the r8000, and
the r10000 might be as much as twice the r8000.
See the benchmarks on http://www.amber.ucsf.edu/amber/

Bill Ross

>>> That's All... 
  Have you any other Information ? 
  Good Luck!!!

-- 
____________________________________________________________________________
 ___  ___
 | |  // A I S T   Chong Chul Chai(e-mail:[email-masked])
 | |-//  1 9 9 5   Department of Chemistry and Center for Molecular Science.
 | |-\\            Korea Adv. Inst. of Sci. & Tech., Tel: 042-869-2853.
 | |  \\           373-1, Kusungdong, Yusungku, Taejon, 305-701 Korea.
 ---  ---          alcohol in ara,csqueen,kids bbs
                   http://muse.kaist.ac.kr/~ccchai
============================================================================