Subject: First Electronic Molecular Modelling & Graphics Society Conference

From: [email-masked] (mgmsorg)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 23:30:37 +0000 (GMT)

FIRST ELECTRONIC MOLECULAR GRAPHICS AND MODELLING SOCIETY CONFERENCE
  ********************************************************************

  The First Electronic Molecular Graphics and Modelling Society
Conference (MGMS EC-1) will be held on the Internet (the Net) and 
World Wide Web (the Web) from Oct 7-18, 1996.  The conference
is sponsored by Elsevier and the Molecular Graphics and Modelling 
Society and will be co-organized by Graham Richards, Art Olson,
Rod Hubbard and Barry Hardy.

  MGMS EC-1 will be a fully international event open to all members of 
the scientific community and will cover a broad range of disciplines 
related to molecular modelling, graphics and simulation methods
and applications.
     
  Conference subject areas are: Protein Structure; Membranes and Membrane
Proteins; Bioinformatics; Computational Nanotechnology; Protein Folding;
Modelling of In Vivo Activity; Knowledge-based Library Design;
Surface Science; Host-guest interactions; Carbohydrates;
Enzyme Mechanisms; Conformational Analysis; Nucleic Acids;
Quantum Chemistry; Car-Parrinello Methods and Applications; 
Structure-based Design; Visualization; and Perspectives.

  Each subject area has a section convener who will screen 
abstracts sent by authors for suitability.  Authors can opt to submit 
a non-permanent presentation like a normal conference poster or
a presentation which will be refereed and considered for publication
in the Journal of Molecular Graphics.  Referees will be appointed 
by the section conveners. 
  
  Presentations must be prepared in Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), 
graphics (GIF,JPEG) and other Web-compatible formats (VRML,Java,PDF) 
so that participants can view the papers via the World Wide Web.  
Aid and consultation will be provided to participants in the months 
prior to the event to help them with their presentation 
(Email:[email-masked]). Further details will be given in the 
authors' guide accessible via the URL: http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/mgms/

  During the conference discussions will take place via the Internet 
in real-time using a virtual conference centre based on a MOO 
(multiple-user domain, object oriented) and via Internet-accessible 
electronic mailing lists. Trial sessions for those not familiar with 
MOOs will be held before the conference. During the conference, a 
timetable for MOO discussion sessions of each section will be posted. 
Since these realtime discussions are an integral part of the 
conference, authors will be expected to attend one for their subject; 
the right is reserved not to referee submissions by authors who do 
not attend one of these sessions. 

  The Conference will feature a Virtual Trade Center where commercial
vendors, software and hardware developers, consultants, and contractors 
will be able to display their goods and services and provide software 
demonstrations in return for exhibition fees to support conference 
activities. Any potential exhibitors should contact Barry Hardy at
[email-masked]

                    *******************

DEADLINES AND DATES               

1) DO NOW - The MGMS mailing list

Conference-related news and announcements will be posted regularly 
to the MGMS mailing list (http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/hypermail/mgms/).

If you wish to subscribe to the MGMS list send the following
one line message to [email-masked]:

subscribe [email-masked] your_email@address
your_name 

2) DO NOW - Registration

The deadline for registration is Sept 15th 1996. Early registration is 
strongly encouraged to aid the efficient operation of the conference 
including the establishment of timely access to the conference.

If you intend to participate in MGMS EC-1 please use the registration 
form accessible via http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/mgms/ which
will be available for electronic registration starting April 22.  The 
electronic registration will be used to construct a registrant database 
for the conference which will generate the conference mailing list and 
handle assignment of userids and passwords.

In addition it is necessary to pay for registration via ordinary 
means: The conference fee will be 35 pounds sterling (50 US dollars) 
with a special rate for students of 20 pounds sterling (30 US 
dollars). A copy of a suitable student identification or a letter from 
the supervisor will be required to be charged at the lower rate.

Cheques or bank orders (in pounds or dollars) should be made out to 
Greenlea Communications and mailed to:

Dr. Barry Hardy, Physical and Theoretical Chemistry Laboratory, 
University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, OX1 3QZ, UK

Please supply your complete name, address, fax and phone numbers,
and email address in your correspondence.  A conference
userid and password will be forwarded to you.

It is hoped to establish a credit card clearing service in May and 
information will be provided at the conference site in due course. 

Academic registrants from economically-disadvantaged countries can 
write to Barry Hardy requesting an exemption to the registration fee. 
Exemptions will be made on a discretionary basis taking into account 
the reasons given for the request and will be dependent on suitable 
funds being available.  We will consider economically disadvantaged 
countries to include those of Eastern Europe, Africa, Central and 
South America, Indian sub-continent, etc. 

3) DEADLINE for receipt of ABSTRACT.  

The deadline for receipt of presentation abstracts is July 1. Email 
your abstract directly to the appropriate section convener listed 
below.  Fuller details of the scope of each section will be given in the 
authors' guide accessible via http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/mgms/

Your abstract should be no longer than 300 words. And remember to 
state which category of presentation (non-permanent poster or refereed
paper) you wish.

If you are unsure as to which section your abstract is suitable for, 
please email a possible section convener or Barry Hardy 
([email-masked]). Section conveners do have the discretion 
to reject abstracts, ask for revisions to an abstract or to send the 
abstract to the convener of a more suitable section.

4) DEADLINE for receipt of PRESENTATION

The deadline for receipt of papers and posters is Sept 15th.  You 
must deposit your text and graphics files at the conference ftp site for
presentation at the conference. Ftp instructions are provided at the
conference site.  Hard copies of final refereed papers
following the format of the Journal of Molecular Graphics
should be sent by Dec 1 to: 

Graham Richards, Journal of Molecular Graphics, 
Physical & Theoretical Chemistry Lab, Sth Parks Rd,
University of Oxford, Oxford, OX1 3QZ, UK.  

Journal guidelines will be posted at 
http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/mgms/

Although there is no limit to the graphics authors choose
to display in their conference presentation, the editor
reserves the right to limit the number of free colour
figures in each printed journal article. 

5) Refereeing Period

The refereeing period will commence upon completion of the conference.
If you have a presentation at MGMS EC-1 you may be requested to contribute
a refereeing evaluation on another conference presentation.  Referee reports 
will be due November 15. 

                       *******************

                  SECTIONS AND SECTION CONVENERS 

(Please email section conveners with questions related to 
your particular section and presentation. Details on the 
sections are accessible via http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/mgms/)

Any general emails (such as registration queries, maillist queries, 
HTML queries, password queries, timetable queries, general technical 
advice on browsers and graphics, MOO queries, etc.) should be sent to:
[email-masked]

1. Protein Structure 
Rod Hubbard
University of York, UK
Email:[email-masked]

2. Nucleic Acids
David Beveridge
Wesleyan University, USA
Email:[email-masked]

3. Membranes and Membrane Proteins
Alan Robinson 
University of Oxford, UK
Email:[email-masked]
and
Terry Stouch
Bristol-Myers Squibb, USA
Email:[email-masked]

4. Bioinformatics
Convener to be announced
Email:[email-masked]

5. Computational Nanotechnology
Al Globus
NASA-Ames, USA
Email:[email-masked]

6. Protein Folding
Jeffrey Skolnick
Scripps Institute, USA
Email:[email-masked]

7. Modelling of In Vivo Activity
Edward Hodgkin
Wyeth-Ayerst Research, USA
Email:[email-masked]

8. Knowledge-based Library Design
Mike Hann
GlaxoWellcome, UK
Email:[email-masked]

9. Surface Science
Donald Brenner
North Carolina State, USA
Email:[email-masked]

10. Host-Guest interactions
Jon Essex
Southampton University, UK
Email:[email-masked]

11. Carbohydrates and Protein-Carbohydrate Interactions
Anne Imberty
CNRS, France
Email:[email-masked]

12. Enzyme Mechanisms
Guy Grant
University College Dublin, Ireland
Email:[email-masked]

13. Stochastic Methods for Conformational Sampling
Robert Topper
The Cooper Union, USA
Email:[email-masked]

14. Quantum Chemistry
Tim Clark
University of Erlangen, Germany
Email:[email-masked]

15. Structure-based Design
David Winkler
CSIRO, Australia
Email:[email-masked]

16. Car-Parrinello Methods and Applications
Michele Parrinello
Max-Planck Institute, Germany
Email:[email-masked]

17. Visualization
Art Olson
Scripps Institute, USA
Email:[email-masked]

18. Perspectives in Molecular Modelling
Graham Richards
University of Oxford, UK
Email:[email-masked]