Subject: Courses on "Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic in Biosciences" (Belgium)

From: [email-masked] (Daniel Vercauteren)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 12:48:17 +0100

The Société Royale de Chimie
and
Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie Informatique

Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix, Namur

propose in the framework of the "Advanced Lectures in Computational
Chemistry and Physics" of the Namur SCF Center

a series of specialized lectures on

AN INTRODUCTION TO FUZZY SETS AND FUZZY LOGIC WITH APPLICATIONS IN THE
CHEMICAL BIOSCIENCES

By Dr. Gerald Maggiora
Pharmacia & Upjohn, Inc.  -  Computer-Aided Drug Discovery
Kalamazoo, Michigan (USA)

Auditorium CH1, rue J.Grafé, 2
B-5000 Namur

Monday, May 13th, 1996, 15h30-18h00 (including coffee break)

Introduction - Brief Overview of classical ("crisp") sets - Fuzzy sets -
Geometry of fuzzy sets - Continuous Fuzzy sets - Subsethood and similarity
of fuzzy sets - Relating crisp and fuzzy sets: alpha-cuts, alpha-level sets
and the Decomposition Theorem - Extension Principle: mapping fuzzy sets to
fuzzy sets- Linguistic variables - Fuzzy sets as possibility density
functions - Fuzzy numbers: interval and fuzzy arithmetic

Tuesday, May 14th, 1996, 15h30-18h00 (including coffee break)

Fuzzy clustering - Predicting protein structural classes with fuzzy
clustering - Classical ("crisp") relations - Fuzzy relations - Composition
of fuzzy relations - Binary fuzzy relations on a single set: similarity and
fuzzy equivalence relations

Wednesday, May 15th, 1996, 15h30-18h00 (including coffee break)

Molecular electron densities as fuzzy sets - Representing chemical
functional groups as fuzzy sets - Fuzzy associative memories (FAMs) and
fuzzy, rule-based function estimation - Example of FAM-based function
estimation - Relating FAM-based function estimation and the Extension
Principle - Proposal: Application of a FAM-based energy evaluator to the
protein folding problem - Summary and conclusions

Informations: Prof. D.P.Vercauteren, Dr. L. Leherte
Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie Informatique
Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de la Paix
Rue de Bruxelles, 61  B-5000 NAMUR
Tél.: +32-81-724534 -- FAX: +32-81-724530
e-mail: vercau,[email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
Professor Daniel P. Vercauteren
Director of "Laboratoire de Physico Chimie Informatique"
Facultés Universitaires Notre Dame de la Paix
Rue de Bruxelles, 61
B - 5000 NAMUR, BELGIUM
Tel +32 (0)81 72 45 34
Fax +32 (0)81 72 45 30
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------