Subject: Conference: Resonance Ionization Spectroscopy (RIS-96)

From: "posting" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Apr 1996 10:10:57 -0400

Dear list owner or administrator:

We believe that you will find the following information of interest to your
subscribers and are offering it for your consideration.  It is our goal to
provide useful information to interested individuals.  Please let us know if
you plan to post this information to your Listserv. We will make you aware of
similar announcements in the future.

If you have any suggestions or comments about how we can best meet the needs
of your group, or if you prefer that we remove your group from future
postings, we welcome your input.

Thank You.

***********************************************************
 Continuing & Distance Education, OMC
 Posting  Specialist			The Pennsylvania State University
 Tel: (814) 865-6585			Susan Building
 FAX: (814) 865-3343		University Park,   PA 16801
 Internet: [email-masked]
***********************************************************

POSTING:

RIS-96: 
Resonance Ionization Spectroscopy 
& Its Applications
June 30-July 5, 1996
The Penn State Scanticon
Conference Center Hotel
State College, Pennsylvania, USA

Visit Penn State's RIS 96 conference website:
http://www.cde.psu.edu/C&I/RIS96.html

a continuing and distance education service of the Eberly College of Science

General Information

We have received a very positive response from interested delegates from
around the world to the First Circular--sent out at the beginning of
September, 1995--and the Second Circular--sent out at the beginning of
January, 1996. A preliminary conference program has now been drawn up, and we
would like to ask you to register for the symposium. Should you wish to
participate in the conference, please follow the registration instuctions
below. Aproximately 110 papers will be presented at this year's symposium, in
both oral and poster format.

Shortly, we will be posting the complete conference schedule, including paper
titles and authors. Please return to this site often for the latest
information about this year's exciting program. We also encourage you to visit
the conference organizer's site at http://nimitz1.chem.psu.edu/RIS96.html.

Scientific Program
Topics for the symposium are as follows:

       The Theory of Light Matter Interaction
       Pico and Femtosecond Spectroscopy
       Atomic Ionization Spectroscopy
       Molecular Ionization Spectroscopy
       Analytical and Environmental Applications
       Ultra-Sensitive Methods
       Nuclear Applications
       Surface and Bulk Analysis
       Chemical Applications
       Biological and Medical Applications
       Atomic, Molecular and Ion Sources
       Laser Sources
       New Techniques and Exotic Applications.

The scientific program will consist of keynote and invited lectures as well as
contributed oral and poster presentations. The following keynote speakers have
agreed to speak at RIS#220#96. The titles of some of the presentations are
tentative and will be confirmed after the classification of abstracts in April
1996:

       An Ultrafast Look at Cluster Ionization
       A. Welford Castleman, Jr., USA 

       Laser Techniques for Art Conversion
       Costas Fotakis, Greece

       Ultra-Short Pulsed Laser Spectroscopy
       Gerard Mourou, USA

       Atom Interferometers and Atomic Coherence
       David Pritchard, USA

       Coherent Control of Chemical Processing Using Lasers
       Moshe Shapiro, Israel

       Quantum Optics of Single Atoms
       Herbert Walther, Germany

Awards
Two awards mentioned in the First Circular will be given at the conference.
The RIS Research Award for a Graduate Student will be awarded to the graduate
student judged to have performed the best research work in RIS presented at
RIS#220#96. Students must be nominated by their professor and the work must be
presented at RIS#220#96. The RIS Poster Award will be awarded to the
researcher or group of researchers presenting the most outstanding RIS
research and development work in a poster session at RIS#220#96. Posters will
be judged during the conference. The deadline for nominations is June 1, 1996.
Further details are available on request.

For More Information

To receive a brochure with registration materials, nationwide, call
1-800-PSU-TODAY (1-800-778-8632), or send us an e-mail with your name,
address, phone number, fax number, and Internet address to
[email-masked] be sure to reference RIS-96 in all
correspondence.

       About program content:
       Sabrina Glasgow, Conference Secretary
       Department of Chemistry
       The Pennsylvania State University
       184 Materials Research Building
       University Park  PA  16802-7003
       Phone: (814) 865-0200
       Fax: (814) 863-0618
       Internet: [email-masked]
       URL: http://nimitz1.chem.psu.edu/RIS96.html

       About conference attendance:
       Judy Hall, Conference Planner
       The Pennsylvania State University
       225 Penn State Scanticon
       University Park  PA  16802-7002
       Phone: (814) 863-5130
       Fax: (814) 863-5190
       Internet: [email-masked]