Subject: Call For Papers: Computational Molecular Biology

From: [email-masked] (Sorin C. Istrail)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 96 16:50:58 MDT

***CALL FOR PAPERS* CALL FOR PAPERS* CALL FOR PAPERS***

          DISCRETE APPLIED MATHEMATICS

       Announcing a Second Special Issue on

          Computational Molecular Biology

Guest Editors: Sorin Istrail, Pavel Pevzner, Ron Shamir

Submission Deadline: August 1, 1996

Manuscripts are solicited for a special issue of Discrete Applied 
Mathematics on topics concerning the development of new 
combinatorial and algorithmic techniques in computational molecular 
biology. With this announcement Discrete Applied Mathematics 
continues the series of special issues devoted to computational 
molecular biology. The series publishes papers on the mathematical 
and algorithmic foundations of the inherently discrete aspects of 
computational biology.

The traditional partnership of mathematics and physics has advanced 
and enriched both disciplines. In a similar partnership, mathematics 
and algorithms are becoming crucial tools in the rapid advancement 
of molecular biology. At the same time, the computational challenges 
of these biological disciplines raise exciting new problems in 
discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science. To paraphrase 
Stan Ulam, those challenges reflect "not only what mathematics can 
do for biology but what biology can do for mathematics."

The following is a (nonexhaustive) list of possible topics of 
interest for the special issue:

* DNA mapping

* DNA sequencing

* DNA/protein sequence comparison

* molecular evolution

* RNA/protein structure 

* gene/motif recognition 

Seven (7) copies of complete manuscripts should be sent to 
any of the Guest Editors indicated below by August 1, 1996. 
We expect this Second Special Issue to appear in the Fall 1997. 
Manuscripts must be prepared according to the normal 
submission requirements of Discrete Applied Mathematics, 
as described in each issue of the journal.  The Guest Editors
will make every possible effort to assure the timely completion
of a thorough refereeing process.

The Guest Editors are:

  Sorin Istrail
  Sandia National Laboratories
  Algorithms and Discrete Mathematics Department
  P.O.Box 5800, MS 1110
  Albuquerque, NM 87185-5800
  [email-masked]

  Pavel Pevzner
  University of Southern California
  Department of Mathematics, DRB 155
  Los Angeles, CA 90089-1113
  [email-masked]

  Ron Shamir 
  Dept. of Computer Science 
  Tel Aviv University 
  Tel Aviv 69978
  ISRAEL  
  [email-masked]